Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

blow off valve on s/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 06:51 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: blow off valve on s/c

would you loose any performance from a bypass valve to a bov because you arnt putting the pressure back into the system?
Old 10-22-2005, 07:22 PM
catchds
1st Gear Member

no you shouldnt loose any horse power with a bov but i have heard in some cases people gaining 1-3 horse power with a bov

97GT
POWERDYNE S/C
4:10 GREARS
DEIOBLO CHIP
Old 10-22-2005, 09:02 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

whats the loudest bov out there that is a good brand and the site for it?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

It really depends on the sustem if your going ot lsoe power by switching from a BPY to a Bov, but as far as i know, for a vortech system or similar sueprcharger systems youll be fine by switching

But there are many case where switching will casue problems, for example, Audis run a closed loop turbo system in their turbo systems (meaning tehy use a bypass valve, also known as a diverter valve used in audis). The computer in the audi expects the air to be redirected into the system, so if you were to switch to a BOV in that particular system, you may infact lose power, and casue problems in the future, with denotation and such...

But that is only an example of how it can casue problems with certian systems, for all i know a BOV or a BPV might work fine with your system
Old 10-23-2005, 09:45 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Philly is right on how they work.

You'll have problems with the bov in a draw through setup. It likes to toy with the MAF sensor because when it releases metered air causing the car to run rich for a fraction of a second.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
RealLow4.2
1st Gear Member

I just bought a white 1990 Saleen Hatch that is powerdyne supercharged (9psi), power pipe,42 lbs injectors, GT40 heads,msd ignition with boost retarder, b303 cam, shorty headers, o/r h pipe, and flows.What im trying to find out is what bypass valve/ diverter valve would be the best for my application? I want one that will funtion well with my setup as well as be as loud as possible. I heard that the HKS SSQVsuper seuqchal blow off valve was loud, however i dont know if it will work with my application. Will this work and whats involved with the install? thanks - Jay
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Wow... this thread is old.... Might as well give a bit of info on some of these topics...

ORIGINAL: ScreamingYellow
You can put a BOV on any kind of turbine forced induction(Not sure about screw types, etc). It won't help performance but should help release the unnecesary pressure from the turbine. Also, unless you can somehow tune for the change in airflow to the engine when it releases the pressure you have a good chance of shooting flames out of your exhaust from an extremely rich condition.
You don't need to tune it if the maf is after the valve if using a bov or you use a bypass.
You don't need a valve for a roots or twin screw in most cases. They are mounted after the throttle body so the rotors are always in a vacuum when the throttle plate is closed. There is no air to damage anything nor will it be bad for bearings or the belt. If you mount it before the throttle body, a bov or bypass is necessary. Centrifugals aren't great on parts without one, but it's hard to cause damage without one especially in a non intercooled setup with short intake plumbing. The centrifugal setups also let air flow backwards through them without too much restriction at low speeds, A roots on the other hand REQUIRES a valve if located before the tb. They don't allow air to flow backwards and they will demolish parts and possibly your entire engine if you don't shut it off quick enough. It's best to run more than one valve just in case one fails.

ORIGINAL: 4.6MikeMustang
blow off valves DO increase performance under the right conditions, if you had a bad or worn or just too small of a bov, you would cause surging within the compressor of a turbo or supercharger, im using a bov on my supercharger because i needed it, the stock one the super charger kit came with just was'nt good enough once i upped the boost, but depending on where you maf is (draw through or blow through). If you have a blow through such as most procharger kits you can vent the bov into the atmosphere, but if you are draw through like i am it is necessary to have the bov recirculating, but you can buy an aftermakret blow off that sounds cool to you and put that air recirculating back into the flow..
You won't gain any power from a bov or bypass valve with a supercharger, they are always spinning relative to engine rpm. You will gain with a turbocharger because when the throttle plate closes it slows the impeller down horribly and is not uncommon for them to spin backwards for a split second. Putting a valve on there will reduce lag and give a higher throttle response when shifting. The valves don't offer a performance gain on anything, but you should get one if possible for the sake of parts durability.
ORIGINAL: catchds
I FOUND THAT THEY MAKE ALL KINDS OF BOVS THAT ARE UNIVERSAL AND WILL TAKE THE PLACS OF MY BYPASS VALVE AND WONT MAKE MY CAR RUNNING FUNNY AT IDLE. THE ONE I AM GETTING IS MADE BY HKS SSQV SUPER SEUQCHAL BLOW OFF VALVE AND IS ONLY ABOUT 150$
Sounds like you're venting metered air or have a vacuum leak. Every bov out there is universal, you just have to get a flange welded to put it on.
ORIGINAL: wwmost
I never knew you can put a blow off valve on a s/c. I am still tryin to save up some money for the vortech kit, What bov do you recomend, i want it to sound like a turbo, or will all bov's work fine? where do you put it?

kevin
Make sure you put it before the meter in a blow through setup if you use a bov. A bypass will work well in a draw through setup.
ORIGINAL: wwmost
whats the difference between a bypass valve and a bov? Soo you just replace the bypass valve with a bov? And do you have a set a spring in the bov for how much pressure your running to open at that pressure or somthing?? Im kinda new on this stuff?
Bov vents to atmosphere, bypass vents back into the intake before the supercharger. You don't have to set a spring. It operates on intake pressures both before and after the intake. When the air after the tb is in vacuum it helps pull the valve up to vent air, likewise the pressured air before the tb also pushed upward on it.

ORIGINAL: RealLow4.2

I just bought a white 1990 Saleen Hatch that is powerdyne supercharged (9psi), power pipe,42 lbs injectors, GT40 heads,msd ignition with boost retarder, b303 cam, shorty headers, o/r h pipe, and flows.What im trying to find out is what bypass valve/ diverter valve would be the best for my application? I want one that will funtion well with my setup as well as be as loud as possible. I heard that the HKS SSQVsuper seuqchal blow off valve was loud, however i dont know if it will work with my application. Will this work and whats involved with the install? thanks - Jay
Which one will work will depend on how big the volume of air being vented is. I would suggest going with a 1.5-2" opening.
Yes, that valve will work. You have to weld a flange onto part of the intake plumbing, then bolt the valve to the flange, then run a vacuum line from one of the lines on the vacuum tree to the valve. Make sure the valve is installed BEFORE the meter.