Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 09:40 PM
delgadog

Default Supercharger question

how or where can i found out how much hp a s/c will add?? I know this is probably a stupid question, but i'd like to get as much bang for my buck. i hear all these manufacturers mention, "good up to so much hp", what does that mean, will it give me that much hp in addition to what i have already, or is that the horse power i can achieve from the s/c?? any help would be greatly apreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:21 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger question

depending on the boost it will differ.

a 6 lb blower is probably worth 75hp

10 lbs maybe 125

roughly...i'm not a blower guy
Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 PM

as nitrous bob said, it'll depend on the blower. But more importantly it'll depend on your engine.

Is your engine stock or is it built? Have any bolt ons?

To get the full potential out of a blown motor, you'll want to build it for that boost. Take Factory 03-04 Cobras for example, full forged internals, a nice cushy compression ratio that's perfect for boost. Bolt ons and a pulley swap start to pull the true potential, a blower that pushes more CFMs will REALLY start to make the engine shine.

MOST IMPORTANTLY... it's all in the tune. You can slap a supercharger, larger injectors and pump on there, with a basic FMU you can gain 75 horses (+/-) depending on how much boost you run, but you'll need to have it TUNED.

As an example, I've seen dyno sheets from Civics with blowers. Installed and set to run decently, they pulled an extra 50 hp to the ground. With a dyno and some serious tuning time they've pulled another 10 hp to the wheels.

An stock engine with an aftermarket blower on it that has never been tuned is nothing more than a ticking time bomb. The philosophy I live by is OVER build the engine. If you want the max amount of power for the money, you'll first have to set the engine up to be able to handle the boost first. Forged internals, balanced rotating assembly, possibly a ported head with good turbo/SC cams.

Old 12-24-2005, 04:44 PM
delgadog

well, i was looking at a s/c, can't remember the brand now, but it said it will give you 160 extra hp's w/ only about 5-6 psi. now another one of their s/c said to give more w/ about 8-10psi, now, is that max hp it produces or is that the output it could possibly handle?? (which is kinda the samething right??) i just want to make sure, i'm doin all this research before i acutally get one, i want the best bang for my buck. also i narrowed my search to paxton and powerdyne.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:09 PM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

personally i would leave powerdyne off your list and look further into vortec and especially procharger by ati. i would also review a twin screw blower like whipple or kenny bell as well. what kind of motor/car do you have?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

also i narrowed my search to paxton and powerdyne.
If those are the only 2 brands you are looking at, get the Paxton. It is a far superior product to a Powerdyne.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:01 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

well, i dont know nothing about much, but before i would start making all these choices as far as equipment, i would find a good place in my hometown who has a lot of experience charging your engine. You may have done this, but i would want to talk to these people. Unless you have boundless knowledge, which it doesnt sound like you do, no offense i dont either, you need to start there. All these nice parts sitting in a box dont do diddly without someone who knows what they are doing. Maybe you have an experienced shop who uses what wouldnt be your choice of equipment, but they have a ton of successful experience with it, that is what i would go with and what i would do. I am trying to find a knowledgable stang shop here in town to talk to about all this stuff. just my .02.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:55 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

if you narrowed it down to powerdyne and paxton, you haven't researched superchargers enough and should not be buying one yet.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:35 PM
bmnlsc

ORIGINAL: nanaki
if you narrowed it down to powerdyne and paxton, you haven't researched superchargers enough and should not be buying one yet.
I agree [sm=goodidea.gif]

BMN
Old 12-25-2005, 05:50 PM
delgadog

well, as a matter of fact, i started looking into procharger, and so far i like what i'm seeing, they have wide wide range of power, different set ups as in multiple s/c for the same year, i've done a little research on s/c, i don't plan on getting one as of yet, but in the future i'm going to lay down the cash for one. i know theres more than just slapping on a s/c, but i'd like to get a head start so when the time does come, i got all the facts straight. plus, it'll let me focus my efforts of modifying my car, so i can get my car ready when the time comes for a s/c and not have to remod my car. bassically i'm looking ahead. and if you think i'm not ready for a s/c why don't you school me up then so i may be ready, i'm lookin to the more experienced guys to help me out so i can try to have a fast sexy mustang like everyone here. i freakin admire and covet there cars, and if they can get there stangs like that, i'll listen.

Quick Reply: Supercharger question