Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:54 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?

SO IM GUESSING GETING A GOOD PORT JOB WOULDNT DO MUCH FOR ME AS FAR AS HEAT GOES?..OR SHOULD I JUST GO AHEAD AND COME OFF MY WALET AND GET A WHIPPLE CHARGER OR SINGLE TURBO FROM HELLION?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:22 AM
trbuddy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

I changed out to a 170 degree thermostat today and the temp was reading fine but i went and played around with it and i got it back to the garage and pop the hood and felt my supercharger and it burnt the $hit out of me..i have the pro series heat exchanger thats like twice the size of the stock one and have had in on for a few months now..what else can i do to cool this thing down?
Like Lee Willis stated correctly, it's normal that the supercharger gets hot. Like I mention before, there is a good article in this topic in the stickies called "Supercharger information". It goes into the detailes of different types of Superchargers and also explains the heat issue. But as said they get quite hot and so does my Vortech.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

hey man i was wondering what kind of power are u making with that vortech?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:21 PM
codyss

The S/C on my Cobalt runs more RPM's than yours most likely does and I can pop my hood right after driving and it is no hotter than my valve cover.

I don't think a Eaton can compress air fast enough or to a high enough psi to make the housing burn your hand. I think you might have a mechanical problem.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

well i guess ill see if the port job does anything for it
Old 01-30-2006, 11:16 PM
trbuddy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Davojan59

hey man i was wondering what kind of power are u making with that vortech?
I dynoed at 345 rwhp with just about 9psi.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 PM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

A couple of points from someone who used to design these things (turbos, SCs) for a living. The SUPERCHARGER itself will get hot and there is not a lot you can do about it. Its just basic physics: when you pressurize air the result is heat, a lot of it in the case of pressurizing as much air as goes through a supercharger. So the SC gets hot. But its designed for that, so first point is don't worry. Second point is that you will not be able to cool the spercharger well by spraying nitrous or anything else on it. There is not enough surface area to remove heat from to make much difference. And spraying NOS on it could actually screw things up by cooling spots on it and stressing bearings in it, etc. Just let it get hot. It's designed for it. .

The reason you have intercoolers is to reduce temperature of the pressurized air after it comes out of the SC but before it gets to the engine. Let the SC get hot, just make sure the air entering the engine, after its passed through the intercooolers, is cool. On my 'vette I have Autometer intake temp gauges measuring air temp before and after the intercoolers. When I get on the boost the air temp going into the inercoolers is about 300, that coming out about 190.

You can spary NOS on the intercooler to improve its cooling, or ethanol, which is what I use (cheaper, just about as effetive). This reduces the air temp more (by about another 25 degrees in my case).
Voice of reason! Well said.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

quote:

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

$5 a pound, spraying a 50 would get pretty expensive pretty quick if he did it all day long

HOLY COW !!!! in the USA it's about $2.50/lb. where the heck do you live?

btw...when i said "spray a 50 on it" i didn't mean literally on it..or through the blower....i meant to the motor to cool the charge.
i thought that would have been easily understood.....my bad.
Point taken, though. The cost adds up pretty fast. IMO, N2o should be a short term power adder. If you plan on running N2o for a few years, then the supercharger makes sense. The more time you run the car with boost, the more the blower makes finacial sense.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

TrBuddy and Davo's cars make such a different amount of HP. 72 whp is alot. I am not trying to make TR feel bad but why such a big difference between the two when it seems like similiar equipment? Does the intercooling of the Procharger make that big a difference? If so, and they are similiar in price, why wouldnt every one get the PC? You could say personal preference, but i dont know a whole lot of people whose personal preference it is to make a lot less HP.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:19 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: codyss

The S/C on my Cobalt runs more RPM's than yours most likely does and I can pop my hood right after driving and it is no hotter than my valve cover.

I don't think a Eaton can compress air fast enough or to a high enough psi to make the housing burn your hand. I think you might have a mechanical problem.
The SC on your Cobalt is moving much less air at a lower pressure, it would not create the same amount of heat.

Quick Reply: WHY DOES MY SUPERCHARGER GET SO HOT?