Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tokico Dspec Adjustable Shocks/Struts Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:06 PM
xeroinsanity

Default Tokico Dspec Adjustable Shocks/Struts Help!

Just had them installed by prostreetonline.com, along withe eibach pro kit springs and a few other various parts. They all worked perfectly, except the ride was pretty rough and I found out they did not adjust the shocks/struts correctly. So I got the tool and adjusted the rear ones 3.5 turns from full hard, and when I tried to do the front ones, they did not feel like they were adjusting at all and the tool just kept going around with no pressure/resistance at all like the rear ones. Now when I go to drive my car the front suspension keeps making this werid noise whenever I go over something which it did not make before. I tried to put it back to normal, and I tried to follow the manual but it did not help much, what am I doing wrong?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tokico Dspec Adjustable Shocks/Struts Help!

ORIGINAL: xeroinsanity

Just had them installed by prostreetonline.com, along withe eibach pro kit springs and a few other various parts. They all worked perfectly, except the ride was pretty rough and I found out they did not adjust the shocks/struts correctly. So I got the tool and adjusted the rear ones 3.5 turns from full hard, and when I tried to do the front ones, they did not feel like they were adjusting at all and the tool just kept going around with no pressure/resistance at all like the rear ones. Now when I go to drive my car the front suspension keeps making this werid noise whenever I go over something which it did not make before. I tried to put it back to normal, and I tried to follow the manual but it did not help much, what am I doing wrong?

Did you tighten them down clockwise first and then back them out? As far as the noise goes when you go over bumps you need to look at the bottom of the springs where they meet the strut and make sure there is a piece of vinyl seated all the way down on the spring against the metal of the strut if not the front end will make all kinds of noise.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:45 AM
MUSTANGEXPERT
2nd Gear Member

I know this is an old post but i am having the same problem..when i try to ajust the fronts but the tool kept on turning it did not feel like anything was moving...Can some one help me, im going to the track friday..
Old 07-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MUSTANGEXPERT

I know this is an old post but i am having the same problem..when i try to ajust the fronts but the tool kept on turning it did not feel like anything was moving...Can some one help me, im going to the track friday..
If you insert the tool into a front strut and turn clockwise it should come to a complete stop within 7 turns. This position is full hard. If it doesnt come to a complete stop then I dont know, you may have an internal problem. If it does come to a complete stop then you can turn counter-clockwise to soften them up. You can turn up to 7* times, more than that and apparently you can unscrew the internals, I don't know what the fix is. Note that it is very easy to turn, it really doesnt feel like there is any resistence.

*I'm pretty sure the max is 7 turns counter clockwise. I don't have the manual in front of me so someone please correct me if Im wrong.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i thought it was more like 12 turns....either way, you probably wont want to run it any further than 4.5-5 turns out of full hard anyways...it starts feeling like you are driving one of those old boat lookin cars that float over every bump
Old 07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I just installed, the instructions say do not go over 7.5 turns from hard.

Insert the tool and turn clockwise until it stops. If it never stops either something is damaged or the tool isn't inserted properly.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:13 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails

Insert the tool and turn clockwise until it stops. If it never stops either something is damaged or the tool isn't inserted properly.
+1, always adjust from full hard
Old 07-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vapour Trails
Thank you - thats the number I was looking for. I knew it was around 7 turns. Not that I've tried it but I've heard anymore than 7.5 and you are unscrewing the internals.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:41 PM
chopin0302
1st Gear Member

Agree not turning them out too far from full stiffness. Don't know what that does internally and don't want to find out.
I have a question as well. Does anybody else get a lot more "creakiness" and squeaks when they turn them out more than 5 turns? Mine seem to make a lot of noise when I have them set very soft, but no noise when they are at full stiffness or out one turn. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

My congrats to MUSTANGEXPERT for searching old posts to seek an answer tothis question [sm=goodidea.gif]

You had to go back quite a ways and many of us appreciate your effort to avoid asking a question that was usuallyposted 3 days earlier.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Tokico Dspec Adjustable Shocks/Struts Help!