Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Playing with a street bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

Default Playing with a street bike

Ok I used to ride a GSXr1100 So I do know how bad *** bikes can be.
That being said;
The other day my wife and I were out taking pictures of the surounding sites. We were parked and were outside our car when this street bike came flying by. I looked at my wife and smiled told her to hurry and get in. Now we were parked near a stretch of road that has limited traffic and is very twisty and climbs about 3500 ft in 11 miles. The corners range from 10 mph to as fast as one is brave enough to try it. I don't think we ever got over 100, but with in about 2.5 miles we had caught the bike. This guy was really leaning into the corners and taking up the whole lane and then some. He has NO idea we are right behind him! After a couple of switch backs he catches a glimps of us in his rear view, looks back and waves to say bye bye...lol He has NO clue what has come up behind him! So I let him pull away just a bit to give us some safe room to play. About 5 corners later the road straightens out after a very sharp corner and I knew if it was clear this would be where he would understand what a well set up car handles like. SO as we exit that corner he is completly leaned over and has drifted out to the outside of our lane, now with the oncoming lane completly clear and we had sucked him up, I go for the pass! I think he about fell off his bike because he had NO idea we were keeping up with him more less he was actually slowing us down! Anyway we pull ahead and then I slow down again to let him by. I give hm the motion to go! Lets play! He grabs a gear and tries it again. In acceration wise it was close but in cornering he had NO chance we could brake later, enter faster, hold a line tighter, and then exit faster. So we pass him a the next straight and beat him the last 3 miles to the top. When he gets up there, he comes right over and starts asking questions about our car. (I never opened the hood or acknowledged the added horse power) but he could see that the car was lowered with BFG and 20's. He kept saying how a car has NEVER been able to hang with him through corners lake that. When I politly told him that actually he was slowing us down through the turns he said, he knew because he wasn't able to keep up once we decided to pass him for good. He walked around the car a couple of times, just shaking his head and saying $hit! Ok now for all you guys that don't like this sort of thing I heard it from my wife while we were up there. She told me I would have felt real bad had "I" had made him crash. I said I would felt bad IF he would have crashed and I hit him or his bike! And that was why I passed him! If he was going to crash he might as well crash behind us! lol 05SDI

Old 08-07-2006, 08:16 PM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Playing with a street bike

Having ridden a bike before you should know better than to suprise them and pass them in the other lane like that. I used to ride a 05 GSXR 1000 but got rid of it because I needed something more practical.

The Gixxer 1100s were freaking pigs and from what you're saying the guy was a noob anyways so I'm not too suprised.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Agreed.

If this biker had a decent street bike and was a good rider he'd have left you in the dust. A late model '01 GSXR 1000 will do the 1/4 in the low tens (as in 10.05) bone stock. Any relatively modern liter-class sportbike is going to be very similar. Throw on some common mods like exhaust and a power commander and you're looking at 9's in the 1/4.

Either you were racing a serious squid, or one of those guys who thinks a Ninja 500 and a Ninja 600 are "about the same thing".
Old 08-07-2006, 11:29 PM
2006RedGT
2nd Gear Member

He didn't say he was racing a GSXR, he used to ride one. He was probably racing a 500 or a 600.
Very nice kill. So all the suspension you have is what is in your sig?
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006RedGT

He didn't say he was racing a GSXR, he used to ride one. He was probably racing a 500 or a 600.
Very nice kill. So all the suspension you have is what is in your sig?
Therein lies the key. A modern 600cc sports bike like an R6, GSXR-600, ZX6 R, FR4i or something like that will be making well over 100 HP and weighs less than 400 lbs. I'd put my money on the bike any day, assuming the rider doesn't suck. Now then, a Ninja 500 is a totally different animal. Whereas the 600 is basically a race bike with lights, the 500 has 40 HP and is just a beginner bike with a fancy name. Despite the huge weight advantage, a supercharged mustang with a competent driver should beat one, even with a good rider. A bike like that just doesn't have the top end.

Either the bike wasn't anything special or the rider sucked, thats my opinion.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
bunit9685
1st Gear Member

01 gix 1000s didnt run low 10s. They were pigs compared to the new 05+ gix 1000s and those only run mid 10s.

Doesnt matter what the guy was riding, he sucked (or wasnt dumb enough to race on the street with a 3500lb car not meant for road racing) because any bike would leave a mustang in the twisties with a decent rider, ninja 500 or gix 1100.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:30 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

ok just to clarify
I don't know or care the rider's abilities! He was on a newer CBR-600 and about 22-25 yrs old.
Having been around high performance cars and bikes all my life. Also I been through a couple of private driving schools. (real fun and yes one can pick up some valuable tips no matter what your level of your current experience is) I have been involved in orgainized racing (all sorts) for the better part of 25 years. So this street biker didn't come across some newbie in Daddy's car. He came across daddy, in daddy's toy, and daddy came to play! One other thing is this road starts 6 mles from my house and I drive it twice a day everyday at least just for fun. To say I know this road is a complete understatement! I'll repeat what I stated before; a streetbike is NO match for a well set up car in the twisties when acceration between the two is close! Yes my sig is almost current. Next mod for the 06 Vert GT is upgraded brakes at all four corners. Now like I stated before in pure acceration the bike and our mustang were very close. I never stated that I could keep up with any of the liter class bikes in acceration. For those of you guys that don't agree or believe this story did you miss the part that we never exceeded 100? So even the liter bikes how far ahead do you really think you would be if top speed was limited to less the 100! This is a tight twisty road. (ok yes there are about 4 sections of the road where it is posible to exceed 100 but there are blind hills with corners in these sections and you COULD come up on a car and have NO options if there was oncoming traffic, this is one reason why I like to drive it first and check traffic as there are no other streets or driveways entering this section) 05SDI
Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 AM
MattCA
2nd Gear Member

hey what wheels are those? if i decide to get an 05 gt that is exactly the type of wheel i want (and the same ride height) thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:15 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

I believe Mustangforms sponsor BRSparts sells rims that look very close to mine and cost around 200-220 each but weight 28-30 pounds each. I have a set of these heavier wheels and run them 95% of the time, when we are not auto crossing or lol looking for some unexpecting prey. It just doesn't make sense to chance ruining a $600+ rim by hitting a pot hole or touching a curb when the cheaper wheels LOOK just as good. (looking back at these pics it appears they are pics of the $220 versions, sorry)
Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
mrblakbyrd

Default RE: Playing with yourself

Judging by your gut i'd estimate you've never ridden a modern sportsbike. If you had you'd know it's brainless to compare performance and handling of a nealy conventional mustang with a sportsbike. You can check laptimes anywhere and see that only the very quickest cars can come close to bikes. Maybe try racing another "daddy" with a litre bike on a similarly familar road. Then bend over for a spanking of that fat ***. You weren't toying with a sportsbike you were playing with yourself........keeping it real

Quick Reply: Playing with a street bike