Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Who Makes the Stiffest Rear Sway Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Default Who Makes the Stiffest Rear Sway Bar?

I want the stiffest rear sway bar that I can find. Has anyone already researched this?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Who Makes the Stiffest Rear Sway Bar?

It would help to know what kind of car you drive.....
Old 08-07-2006, 04:27 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Assuming you have an '05-07 Mustang, the stiffest that I know of is the BMR "Xtreme" Anti-Roll bar. It's huge: 1 1/4" solid steel with 5/8" rod end mounts. However, they do say that it may be "too much" for the street.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:06 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Sorry. I normally would post model year except that I thought I was in the '05-'06 Forum.

I am talking about an '06 Mustang GT and I am talking about the REAR sway bar. Thanks for your input and please keep it coming.

Have a great day,
Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

I have the ADDCO on mine. Seems to be a good one for street and strip. It's not near a stiff as the BMR but probably better for the street. One of the least expensive too. http://www.addco.net
Old 08-16-2006, 04:55 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

Addco's is only 22mm. Almost positive that Eibach, Progressive and Steeda are all 24mm.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grasshopper

Addco's is only 22mm. Almost positive that Eibach, Progressive and Steeda are all 24mm.
Addco is 22.23 mm (.875) diameter. The factory is 19.99 mm (.787).

If you plan to run slicks or sticky tires the bigger bars would be best. For my purpose this bar works fine. I was having a problem launching on the factory radials. When I installed this bar I no longer have a traction problem at HRP here in Houston.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

The factory bar is 20mm according to ford on the coupes. 18mm on the verts. GT's of course.

The GT500 bar is going to be 24mm out back. I think that is what I am planning to go with unless ford comes out with bigger stuff.

To me, a fatter back bar should get rid of the bit of push the car has and make it a bit more frisky in the turns. I hope not too frisky though. I am not doing it till I get some sticky rubber under the thing though. I want to see what some real 18" tires do first after I am done abusing the BFG's.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:27 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

I am anxiously awaiting the release of that 24MM GT500 bar that you mentioned.

Yes indeed, stiffening the rear bar will remove SOME of the understeer. I read on another thread where someone was afraid to stiffen ONLY the rear bar for fear that the car would spin out all over the place. I personally believe that this person might be over expecting what a rear sway bar can do.

I am DEFINITELY a fan of stiffening the REAR sway bar ONLY. Stiffening the rear bar will take out some understeer while stiffening the front will add understeer.

Thanks for all the input in the thread. I will start looking for a GT500 bar and checking into the Eibach and Progressive.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:40 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

I put Roush swaybars on my 2006 GT.They appear virtually the same as Stock that were removed except they are blue.They were priced out almost identically to the OEM's.Anybody know how much more stiffness the suspension gets as a result of switching over to these?It is a stiffer ride,for sure;I had Roush struts and shocks done at the same time.I kept my Eibach springs that were purchased earlier.I didn't see the need to change those to Roush springs(what do you know,the Roush springs are blue too).If anyone has knowledge to answer the question I'd appreciate it.The car handles real well with the BF Goodrich Drag Radials.Hard to tell with this package,how much of the improved handling is from the sway bars.Thankyou in advance.I'm also using an adjustable panhard bar.

Quick Reply: Who Makes the Stiffest Rear Sway Bar?