Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

tire pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:20 PM
T4b

Default tire pressure question

I'm new ta all this but was curious about:

OK, the sticker on the door of my GT says 32 psi for front and back......

just checked again with a digital pressure gauge and am getting different readings on each tire varying from 27 to 30

these are 18" BFG G-Force tires.....I do have some handling problems at over 70 mph in that the steering feels loose and the car is flighty....

would being a few pounds off on the pressure cause this?

Thanks in advance from a newbie.......

but asking questions like this is the only way ta learn..........
Old 09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
GDZILLA95
1st Gear Member

Default RE: tire pressure question

I have the 18" wheels also. I think 32psi is too low.
The max psi that is listed on my tires is 44psi. I run
mine at 40psi and I have not had any problems. My
car handles fine and I do not have any unusual tire
wear. My car has around 2500 miles on it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38476/844EA1C28A974F85B0F0F1FABB37F512.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/38476/1BF24DAD399E4B7789CF1CF3474768EB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-07-2006, 05:30 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

IMO ,if you take in to account that the MAX is 44lbs....filling your tire to 40psi (cold)is going to go higher when you drive for 20minutes.Up and past your Max of 44 psi.If the MAX psi on your tire is 51 psi,then 40 pounds is safe.I usually hover around 36 psi.As you know increasing the tire pressure helps the rims from killer pot holes,that will dent the edge of your rim... if you are too low in air pressure .If you've got expensive Mags ,you don't want them damaged.I stay away from the MAX Cold usually by 6 or 7 psi to be on the safe side.Too high an inflation causes the center of the tire to wear quicker.That much said,it also decreases your rolling resistance,so you get better mileage.It's a personal choice,play with the inflation until you are happy with the handling.But,do not go past the Cold MAX (44 psi)pressure . You are technically supposed to abide by the manufacturers guideline.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:38 PM
xzo6
2nd Gear Member

IMO ,if you take in to account that the MAX is 44lbs....filling your tire to 40psi (cold)is going to go higher when you drive for 20minutes.Up and past your Max of 44 psi.If the MAX psi on your tire is 51 psi,then 40 pounds is safe.I usually hover around 36 psi.As you know increasing the tire pressure helps the rims from killer pot holes,that will dent the edge of your rim... if you are too low in air pressure .If you've got expensive Mags ,you don't want them damaged.I stay away from the MAX Cold usually by 6 or 7 psi to be on the safe side.Too high an inflation causes the center of the tire to wear quicker.That much said,it also decreases your rolling resistance,so you get better mileage.It's a personal choice,play with the inflation until you are happy with the handling.But,do not go past the Cold MAX (44 psi)pressure . You are technically supposed to abide by the manufacturers guideline.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:18 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Yes EXTREME overpressure on any type tire will cause accelerated center tread wear, BUT underinflation is more often the cause of center tread wear on a RADIAL tire. It's difficult to explain, but it is true.

To understand why UNDER inflation can cause center tread wear on a radial, imagine a volley ball or soccer ball that is EXTREMELY under inflated rolling on the floor. If you could see underneath it, you would see a hollowed out area as it rolled along. As it is rolling, the fore and aft edge of the hollowed out area is SCRUBBING. This is the effect of low tire pressure in a radial tire.

It is IMPORTANT to have enough, but not too much pressure. Luckily the correct pressure for optimum tire wear is ALSO the correct pressure for optimum handling.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:50 AM
DStang05
2nd Gear Member

Discount tire told me 40lbs per tire.