Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Wings and Splitter

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:28 PM
bioradiation

Default Wings and Splitter

I know talking about body parts should go into the "Appearance" section but what I am asking for is more in the "Handling" department.

I am looking for a functional racing splitter and rear wing for my GT. When I say functional, i want it to actually improve my handling performance at higher speeds and throughout cornering. I have an overall concept of what I want my GT to look and perform like and this is one of those steps where I dont know where to go. I've seen a few wings that claim that they are funtional/adjustable but I want to see what you all think.. Keep in mind that I am not looking for just appearance here. It needs to improve handling performance!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wings and Splitter

At highway speeds no wing is going to be functional. They will not produce any down force to the rear wheels. The rear wing is just for show...
Old 09-05-2006, 04:03 PM
bioradiation

Who said anything about hwy speeds? [sm=dontgetit.gif] I was asking about what products are out there that are functional, not when/where they are not functional.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Check with Steeda. They have a lot of functional aero parts, front splitters, cowl hoods, wings, etc..
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 PM
bioradiation

Yeah, thier wing looks nice but thier splitters aren't adjustable. and looks alittle rolly polly for what I am wanting. I'll check the wing out again.. I'll have to see how funtional it is.. adjustability doesn't alway mean functionality. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places but there doesn't seem to be any commercially available race proven parts in this area. I am looking at this stuff for time trial competitions so it needs to perform. Astetics is always behind function, in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:12 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I think this is one area where the "ricers" actually have the right idea. APR or other aluminum rear wings should be perfectly functional, nearly all are adjustable, and come in a miriad of design and winglet choices. They also use a basic sheet of aluminum, carbon fiber, or fiberglass as a front splitter with tie-rods for adjustability. You could make it yourself, or the parts can be found on eBay as universals, but made to fit and function just fine.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM
bioradiation

well the intention is not to be "ricerized" but hey, if thats what people wanna say.. who am I to stop them .. thanks for the APC idea.