Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Your favorite grippy tires (no drag radials)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Your favorite grippy tires (no drag radials)

Hey praztek, I think you read good info on the limits of a 9" rim--a tire more than 265 will not have sufficient foundation on a 9" rim, especially for handling in the corners. I've heard of folks pushing more than this on 9" wheels, all the while claiming you CAN do it, but disregarding the price in performance you pay.

Thumper 33, you're in a better position considering 10" wide wheels. Roush runs 18"x10"s on all four corners with 275/40/18 tires. I have not 100% verified this (more like 95% sure), but the offset should be +45mm. The tire/wheel combo comes right up to the fender--I mean almost full flush, and it looks awesome! My guess is that this is as wide as you can go (wheel/tire/offset) and not pass the fender-line.

I am also looking into an 18x10" set-up w/this size tire. I've witnessed the KD's in action on an autocross track...very impressive. I'm also considering Kumho's Ecsta MX tires (very good rep, but costs less than all the others).

Best,
-j
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

What about for track day events on a road course?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

BFGoodrich KDW2
Old 11-05-2006, 02:04 AM
Glengemen
2nd Gear Member

I have Proxes TR-1s, and I have really liked them. I can't say much on durability as they dont have 3000 miles on them yet. Very grippy though.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:35 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

How many miles are those BFG KDW2's lasting everyone?????
Old 11-12-2006, 04:36 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

I've had 'em for about... 5k so far, I think, with no visible wear.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:51 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Philostang
Thumper 33, you're in a better position considering 10" wide wheels. Roush runs 18"x10"s on all four corners with 275/40/18 tires. I have not 100% verified this (more like 95% sure), but the offset should be +45mm. The tire/wheel combo comes right up to the fender--I mean almost full flush, and it looks awesome! My guess is that this is as wide as you can go (wheel/tire/offset) and not pass the fender-line.

I am also looking into an 18x10" set-up w/this size tire. I've witnessed the KD's in action on an autocross track...very impressive. I'm also considering Kumho's Ecsta MX tires (very good rep, but costs less than all the others).

Best,
-j
Are you saying that there is a chance of gettin 18x10s on the front with 275s on them?
I have been looking at gettin a set of lighter/wider rims and a set of sticky tires on them. I live out in BFE Ohio and there are alot of curves out here to carve and I think its about time to get new wheel/tire combo. Let me know
Old 11-26-2006, 03:06 AM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

Has anybody tried these out yet-Edge Racing

They are made by Falken-They are pretty sticky from what I read but I am kinda curious about the mileage you can get out of them[sm=gears.gif]
Old 11-26-2006, 12:26 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SweetGT

Has anybody tried these out yet-Edge Racing

They are made by Falken-They are pretty sticky from what I read but I am kinda curious about the mileage you can get out of them[sm=gears.gif]
I haven't run the Falken 615 but I did research them before I bought my Goodyears. The Falkens are very popular among drifting enthusiasts. They have a very hard sidewall. That's probably good for drifting and road course racing, but it will hurt you in a drag race. They do have good traction, but their tread life is not very good. I was being told they were good for 15-20 thousand miles.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
SweetGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
I haven't run the Falken 615 but I did research them before I bought my Goodyears. The Falkens are very popular among drifting enthusiasts. They have a very hard sidewall. That's probably good for drifting and road course racing, but it will hurt you in a drag race. They do have good traction, but their tread life is not very good. I was being told they were good for 15-20 thousand miles.
Thanks, well I only averaged so far this year about 6k miles in 10 months(that was with driving everywhere I could). So I think that 15-20k would be fine with me

Quick Reply: Your favorite grippy tires (no drag radials)