Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Is this where you measure the pinion angle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Is there where you measure the pinion angle?

Well now I'm back to the drawing board! I was using that center tapered part of the yoke after reading your thread. I couldn't tell if it was tapered or not.

ORIGINAL: 07GT

ORIGINAL: moosestang

Have you looked under your car? There doesn't seem to be a flat surface on the yoke.

Measure from the yoke.

[IMG]local://upfiles/45987/9DBAA699C0AD4375BA838D6F1E3F3955.jpg[/IMG]
You are correct. The outer surface of the yoke is tapered. I hope that machined surface on the bottom of the pumpkin is machined parallel to the yoke. It looks like it is.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

It looks tapered to me. Anyone else want to chime in? My eyes suck at close up but with reading glasses on it looked tapered. I hope you get this worked out.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Well measuring from the center of the yoke like it points to in this diagram https://mustangforums.com/upfiles/32...1224FDE063.jpg

My pinion yoke shows 4 degrees from plum and my driveshaft measures 2 degrees from plum in the opposite direction (plum = 0. I'm leaving it at that for now and going to do a test drive. There doesn't seem to be much info on measuring the pinion angle for a two piece driveshaft online. Their example in the diagram gives 0 for the driveshaft and -2 for the yoke, assuming you minus one from the other they must be minusing the driveshaft from the yoke or -2-0 or else they wouldn't come out with a -2. I'm still not sure of one of the angles is supposed to be negative. if my yoke is -4 degrees and my driveshaft is +2 degrees according to their diagram and the rules of mathematics I would have -4-2 or -4+-2 =-6

It looks tapered to me. Anyone else want to chime in? My eyes suck at close up but with reading glasses on it looked tapered. I hope you get this worked out.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Maybe this will help

If your driveshaft is pointed down 1 and your pinion is pointed down 1 that = -2
If your driveshaft is pointed up 1 and your piniion is pointed down 1 that = 0
If your driveshaft is level and your piniion is pointed down 1 that = -1
If your driveshaft is level and your pinion is level that = 0
If your driveshaft is level and your pinion is pointed up 1 that = +1
If your driveshaft is pointed down 1 that your pinion is pointed up 1 that = 0
If your driveshatft is pointed up 1 and your pinion is pointed up 1 that = +2

Think of a line with a pivot point in the middle.

By driveshaft down I mean that the end at the rear of the car is down below the trans end.

By pinion down I mean the end towards the front of the car is down.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:31 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default A question for you

Was your measurement at the pinion and at the bottom of the pumpkin the same?
From your description it sounds like you have 6 degrees pinion angle, that's too much.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A question for you

No, there is about 1-2 degrees difference between the two. I'll have to remeasure to see how much. Measuring at the bottom of the pumpkin showed less of a downward angle.

From your description it sounds like you have 6 degrees pinion angle, that's too much.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

No, there is about 1-2 degrees difference between the two. I'll have to remeasure to see how much. Measuring at the bottom of the pumpkin showed less of a downward angle.

Well one measurement was 4 and one was 2, and I thought you said one read to the right of zero and one read to the left of zero. That to me is 6 degrees difference between driveshaft and pinion. It's quite possible I'm not understanding what you are saying. See my previous post and I hope that explains how 4 and 2 can be 6, but not necessarily. Drives you nuts doesn't it? The fact that your measurement at the bottom of the pumpkin showed less of a downward angle indicates to me that the yoke surface is tapered and therefore not useful. I guess I'm going to have to get my big glasses on and look again.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You are understanding me correctly. The 4 degree measurement was taken from the center of the yoke and may not be correct. The difference between the center of the yoke and flat part of the pumpkin is 1.5 degrees. So I had a 2.5 degree downward angle when measured from the bottom of the pumpkin.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

http://carcraft.com/howto/p176537_image_large.jpg

Well i figured out why I was having so much trouble, both my angles were negative. I either had 4.5 degree pinion angle or 6, but either way it was too much. It felt fine until I stepped on it then it felt strange. I shortened the LCA's and i'll have to retest it and remeasure tommorrow.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:55 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Wrong way?

http://carcraft.com/howto/p176537_image_large.jpg

Well i figured out why I was having so much trouble, both my angles were negative. I either had 4.5 degree pinion angle or 6, but either way it was too much. It felt fine until I stepped on it then it felt strange. I shortened the LCA's and i'll have to retest it and remeasure tommorrow.

If both your angles are negative and you shorten the LCA, you will increase the negative pinion angle. If you shorten the LCA it will pull the pinion down. Again, maybe I don't understand your explanation of your measurements, but I do understand chassis setup. I've done this a lot.

Quick Reply: Is this where you measure the pinion angle?