Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need new tires for rainy season

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

Default Need new tires for rainy season

Well i have heard that the pirellis that came with the pony package are not very good in the rain. Im a little worried about this and im thinking about getting some new tires.

anybody have any suggestions on which tires i should get?

thanks in advance to any responses
Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Need new tires for rainy season

Huh? I thought people found the Pirellis to work very well in the wet... dunno....
Old 10-19-2006, 01:28 AM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

Huh? I thought people found the Pirellis to work very well in the wet... dunno....
oh really..im not sure...i thought i read people saying that they had bad traction...

hopefully ur right so i dont have to spend any money
Old 10-19-2006, 03:50 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

I live in Seattle and have the Pirelli's. I use the 92 torque tune from bamachips and I feel very comfortable using those tires. I have had to make plenty of fast stops without any problems.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:41 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

I just got my new GT takeoff Pirellis, and again, looking at the tread design, they should be able to pump water quite effectively. I find it hard to believe they would be bad in the rain.... now, if somebody with a GT is driving around without TC on, and spins their wheels, that's not the fault of the tire.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Did you get the Gt rims as well? Finally! (If you did get em) Post some pics!

I just got my new GT takeoff Pirellis, and again, looking at the tread design, they should be able to pump water quite effectively. I find it hard to believe they would be bad in the rain.... now, if somebody with a GT is driving around without TC on, and spins their wheels, that's not the fault of the tire.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:54 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

the pirellis are so bad i will never buy a pirelli product again. If money is no object goodyear f1 tires with the V shaped treads are really good. then again i dont buy every kind of tire and test them thoroughly
Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: ucdgreek

oh really..im not sure...i thought i read people saying that they had bad traction...

hopefully ur right so i dont have to spend any money
The 16" BFG's are lousy in the rain, but the P-Zero Nero's from the Pony Package or GT take-offs are substantially better in the rain than the BFG's. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but I wonder about the guys who complain about the Pirelli's in the rain. How hard are they pushing their cars in inclement weather? If you push these RWD cars hard in the rain, then they will let go on you.

I love my Pirelli's, BTW. So much better than the 16's. JOMO
Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

My car came with the 17's and the pirelli's, the pirellis were only good for burnouts, fishtails, doughnuts, and only when in a large, deserted parking lot. After the pirellis I got a used set of 245/45-17 continental contact all seasons.... they feel so much better in the rain that im making them my snow tires. Ill let you guys know if i regret my decision.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ucdgreek
Well i have heard that the pirellis that came with the pony package are not very good in the rain. Im a little worried about this and im thinking about getting some new tires.

anybody have any suggestions on which tires i should get?

thanks in advance to any responses
I suggest you go to http://www.tirerack.com/ to get a lot of info on any tire. Also have user recommendations and critiques. Tires are rated as well.

Quick Reply: Need new tires for rainy season