Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Snow driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Ancientmyth

Default Snow driving

I'm curious just how well the S197's handle when there's snow on the road. If anyone has any experience daily driving one where it snows I'ld appriciate some feedback.

The reason I ask is that I am debating trading in my F150 for an '07 GT, but live in Salt Lake City so I have to deal with snow every once in a while. I've driven several high horse rear wheel drives in the snow and know how to handle them. My truck has 350hp and I've only ever needed the 4 wheel drive a couple of times when off road, never in the snow. I read an article a while back stating Ford tried to engineer the S197 to do well in all seasons. I just want to hear some real world experience on how well they do before I make my decision.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 02:25 AM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Snow driving

I'm from southern Ohio, and we get a bit of snow here and there, and I can tell you that with the P Zeros I've had some entertaining drives in the snow. I got stuck on a medium grade hill with less than an inch of snow on the ground. Had to turn the traction control off so it would give me power and then just burn a little rubber until I got in a position to roll back down the hill and turn around. Better throw some sand in the trunk.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:03 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

I just got my car a week ago, and I've been driving it in the snow lately (have no choice since my truck is at my parents place)...the TCS kicks butt, and the car is rather nimble for what it is in the snow. Turns and stopping are fine for me....it's the getting going that sucks, especially from a dead stop and turning right uphill...the car just bucks a bit and sits there until I can get going. I'm gonna stop driving it soon so that I can make the car last...because I know that driving a stang in the snow is basically muscle car sacrilage! lol!

L8tz
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

I drove in the snow last winter with stock BFGs and 100lbs of kitty litter in the trunk. Only got stuck in the middle of a hill once turning left. Freaked out when I was losing power. Turned off TCS and got right up the hill. The car actually handles fine for being RWD and high hp. Second gear is your friend...first is not.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it's like trying to run a 100 yard dash on ice
Old 12-03-2006, 06:58 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

it's like trying to run a 100 yard dash on ice
If someone tries to drive any RWD car like they were running the 100 yard dash...well, they shouldn't.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

In my opinion the Mustang does just fine on slick roads. Just take it easy, manage your energy wisely and feather the clutch gently when starting off. If it still gives you trouble consider a good set of snow tires. I've been driving high horsepower rear wheel drive cars since I moved to snow country 16 years ago, and in my opinion it's 90% driver, 10% car. It's a myth that RWD cars don't go in the snow.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

/\/\/\/\ Agreed...

I think that more people SHOULD drive RWD cars in the winter...it will FORCE them to be less complacent, pay more attention to their driving, and force them to drive properly and adapt to conditions. I have been getting around in the white stuff so far just as well as FWD cars have been. I was following a Cobalt SS down my road today, and he was driving on the left side of the road because it was plowed better. So I just stayed in the right lane, and made him look dumb having a Mustang keep up in deeper snow than he was driving through...lol...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

agreed here too.

I have not had the stang out in the white stuff yet. But I threw 4 snows on it a couple weeks ago. I have never had a problem with RWD cars in the snow.

If I have to I will add some ballast to the trunk.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

i just moved from Northern Indiana to about 40 miles south of Indy. i hope its better then up north. we got alot of lake effect, down here we wont. but i've never driven a high HP RWD in the snow, i use to have a old S-10 in college, it had 45 hp i think, and if it was bad out i just didnt drive it, no biggy in college...i got scared last week when all the snow was coming, i now have 120 lbs of salt in the trunk as weigth...(still un opened in the plastic bags)

Quick Reply: Snow driving