Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda 3pt. frame rail & torque box brace

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Blackman
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda 3pt. frame rail & torque box brace

Is this worth anything, whats it purpose? I have lower and uppercontrol arms on orderand acouple other susp. items. I not a dragracer, my car will never see the track, but good take offis good to have,also does anybody else makes them, some good info will help.

thanks
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Steeda 3pt. frame rail & torque box brace

Products like this are designed to reenforce and stiffen the chassis. They are avaiable from other brands as well, such as BMR. They are also called "sub frame connectors"

Here is a good past thread on them: https://mustangforums.com/m_1481499/tm.htm

My personal preferance is for the BMR Heavy-duty "boxed" type. They are far sturdier than the Steedas both in construction and design. The BMR design travels much further forward in the chassis than the Steedas. Also the BMRs are about the same price! I think BMR is $250 as opposed to Steeda's $240.

I am personally using the BMRs. Installation was not bad at all. It actually took me longer to grind off the powdercoating from the BMR parts to get a clean weld area than it did to actuallyweld them in the car! Whatever powder coating material they use, it's TOUGH.

The extra stiffness is very obvious. I have a gravel driveway leading into my shop, and I could feel the stiffess the very second I backed out onto the gravel. The car is more stable under hard launches and under cornering. This product is well worth the money in my opinion.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

+1 for the BMR boxed subframes. Once I finish off the suspension parts, next is the chassi.
I'm going with the boxed Subframe connectors as well as having the seams welded.
I'm still on the fence over having battle boxes welded in, might just weld up the stock ones, as we don't seem to have the issue the SN95's did, where they would tear the stock ones out.

and to tie it together I will be adding a Strut tower brace up front. I have heard the rear one is not needed, and just makes the trunk more useless.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

As you know Blackman, I have the Steedas. They are bolt in with the option of welding them.Obviously welding them in will in fact give you more support, but considering your future usage being mostly street, they will serve their purpose. If you do not want to have the connectors welded in then they are a good option. I have been pleased with mine, and they definately helped me get to the 1.68 60 foots on street tires. I am adding the CHE axle brace since you saw under the car along with the LPW carrier brace. Should be here soon.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

How much do BMR's boxed subframe connectors weigh? I'm sure the benefits are worth the weight, but I'm just curious.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Blackman
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, good info, wzup Musiccity
Old 01-16-2007, 10:28 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

the weight doesn't matter - subframe connectors are vital to these cars

I think the initial question is referring to Steeda's torque box reinforcement pieces - not subframe connectors. they are 2 seperate things
Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

the weight doesn't matter - subframe connectors are vital to these cars

I think the initial question is referring to Steeda's torque box reinforcement pieces - not subframe connectors. they are 2 seperate things
Actually the steeda are just a half assed attempt, they just stiffen the rear. the bmr subframs attach at the LCA mount just like the steeda but go all the way to thr front of the frame.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:41 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Does anyone know if these mfgrs actually did a stress test on the car and engineered these pieces, or did someone just say "...looks like if we just tie that to that, and throw a brace here..."
You can stiffen anything if you throw enough material at it...I'm wondering if more couldn't be done with less in key areas. It could be that these are fully engineered parts, but in this business, you never know, and my guess is that it's not likely.
Just a thought.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Subframes have been around for a long LONG time..
On the SN95, its actually common to see thru floor subframes installed.
Thru floor are where they actually cut the floor and the subframe support is welded inside and under the car.

They have been race tested for years and that is good enough for me.

Quick Reply: Steeda 3pt. frame rail & torque box brace