Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

windage tray

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default windage tray

Okay so it's not handling per-se but the guys in here are gonna have better input. Has anyone considered a windage tray on their cars? An 02' Roush is in my sponsor's shop for full griggs suspension and a new motor. He only has 23k miles on the car and spun a main bearing. Now i'm having nightmares lol. Has anyone seen one available for our cars? With matching oil pan or to use with factory. Think it's necessary? I'm getting a heat-extractor hood, new radiator, and an oil cooler. i'm all about engine longevity. Opinions please........
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: windage tray

Windage trays have nothing to do with engine longevity or spun bearings. They are intended to keep oil from the pan seperated from the crankshaft. Pan oil splashing on the crank can cause extra drag costing HP. Some trays are worth installing, some just reflect oil back onto the crank causing as much drag...or in many cases, more, than without. A good pan/tray system needs to be designed with the engine and application in mind, and can be very detailed and specific. I wouldn't bother worrying about it at this point. It definately didn't cause your buddy's spun bearing.
ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Okay so it's not handling per-se but the guys in here are gonna have better input. Has anyone considered a windage tray on their cars? An 02' Roush is in my sponsor's shop for full griggs suspension and a new motor. He only has 23k miles on the car and spun a main bearing. Now i'm having nightmares lol. Has anyone seen one available for our cars? With matching oil pan or to use with factory. Think it's necessary? I'm getting a heat-extractor hood, new radiator, and an oil cooler. i'm all about engine longevity. Opinions please........
Old 01-20-2007, 03:31 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

The way you are into road racing the windage tray would be a nice accessory but not mandatory. However I would highly recommend getting a Canton road race pan. The Canton not only increases the oil quantity giving better cooling but is internally baffled to keep the oil pickup covered in hard turns. The motor you saw with the spun bearing was probably caused by the oil pump pickup becoming uncovered during a hard high speed turn.

Earl
Old 01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

I have a call in to my Stef's rep to see what they've got brewing. Canton is a decent product, and a complete pan system would be an excellent upgrade. My guess is the factory pan already has some minimal baffling and tray. Don't know, though...haven't seen one.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

retfr8flyrunderstood where I was getting at. i was thinking as far as keeping the oil where it was supposed to me. So many variables with road racing are new to me. The road race oil pan set-up is what i'm getting at.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:17 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

I understood what you were getting at, but you asked about a windage tray, which dosen't keep oil in the pan for pick-up purposes. That's accomplished by a system of baffles and one-way trap doors in the bottom of the pan. Windage tray justisolates the pan oil from splashing on the crank and in most cases, will cost you HP and really isn't necessary.

retfr8flyrunderstood where I was getting at. i was thinking as far as keeping the oil where it was supposed to me. So many variables with road racing are new to me. The road race oil pan set-up is what i'm getting at.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:59 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Hate to disrupt your panic attack, but your motor already has a windage tray

If youpulling out your engine and want a different one there are a couple of them on the market. RPM Outlet has one on their site, so do a couple of the engine building sites.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:48 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

okay got that out of the way already. how bout your opinion of switching to said oil-pan?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

okay got that out of the way already. how bout your opinion of switching to said oil-pan?
If you want to switch to a road race pan, do a little research. There are other pan makers out there who do an excellent job like Stefs (first choice) Dan Olson, and Armando's. These guys will build you a pan (or already have one) that not only will protect your motor, but also free up some hp. The Dan Olson on my BB Chev is worth about 35hp.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:57 PM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

if spending the money go with an aluminum one..

Quick Reply: windage tray