Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tokico D-specs w/o lowering

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 AM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

Default Tokico D-specs w/o lowering

I was just wondering if it would be worth while to buy these shocks if I wasn't going to lower it at all. Would the improvement be worth the price?

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:30 PM
rnail
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Tokico D-specs w/o lowering

I'm wondering the same thing. I kind of like the front spring height and rate, but feel the stock dampers are on the one hand not firm enough, on the other too damped on compression. Has anyone run the D-specs with the stock springs?

Any comments welcome and appreciated
Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: surf808

I was just wondering if it would be worth while to buy these shocks if I wasn't going to lower it at all. Would the improvement be worth the price?

Thanks.

The difference is huge! I've installed D-Specs on one girl's S197GT while retainingthe stock springs and installing Steeda anti-roll bars and Steeda adjustable Panhard bar and H.D. PB bar brace. The ability to tune the dampers for the stock springs and larger anti-roll bars made a huge improvement in ride and body control on bumpy canyon roads where we like to play.

But I highly recomend installing a set of Steeda sport springs or H&H sport springswhen you install the D-Specs. The reason is these springsare only one inch lower and add much needed spring rate to the chassisreducing brake dive and body roll.

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:12 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

F1Fan,
I dont want to change the subject so I'll keep it on the d-specs. I currently have the FRPP springs and dampers. So I guess same question as above:Is it worth it to change out the FRPP dampers and install d-specs. My car is already lowered so I need to do some work to finish off what the FRPP package does not. I am planning some other upgrades but would prefer to keep the ride smooth enough to drive longer distances and for the commute as well.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:16 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

F1Fan,
I dont want to change the subject so I'll keep it on the d-specs. I currently have the FRPP springs and dampers. So I guess same question as above:Is it worth it to change out the FRPP dampers and install d-specs. My car is already lowered so I need to do some work to finish off what the FRPP package does not. I am planning some other upgrades but would prefer to keep the ride smooth enough to drive longer distances and for the commute as well.

Hi Mikes_BLK_GT,

Absolutely! Many people I have recommended this to have posted great results after making this exact swap! The FRPP HandlingPak is not a bad setup except that for most folks the MultiMatic tuned dampers are just too much for the street. They are well valved foragressive handling use but in day to day use they are pretty jiggley which can get old fast for some folks. The rest of the FRPP kit is Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Eibach anti-roll bars. My most commonly suggested suspension combination is usually the following:

D-Specs adjustabledamper kit
Eibach Prokit springs
OR for areas where it snows or the roads are rougher
Eibach camber bolt kit, trust me your suspension shop will appreciate it!
Steeda Sport Springsforthe 1" lowering vs 1.5+ of thePro-Kit
Steeda adjustable Panhard bar
Steeda Heavy Duty PB brace

You already have most of thegood stuff, all you need to do is install a setD-Specs and adjustable Steedaadjustable Panhard bar and HD PB brace and you will have a pretty good handling car once you get it aligned to -1.0 to -1.2 degrees negative camber and 0-1 1/6" toe in. You should not go more negative camber or you will not get the longest life out of the tires even if you rotate them religiously as I do. BUT with -1.75 to -2.0 degrees negative camber the car is UFB! Of course the tires will wear out horribly but the handling and gripare really outstanding when set this way!

I cannot stress how important installing Steeda's adjustable Panhard bar and HD PB brace is to the handling and driver confidancein the car. You have no idea how good the feedback can be and how precise the car can handle until you install this Panhard bar and HD brace. This single link is what provides ALL of the lateral control of the rear axle and ALL of the feel of the car in a corner. A good stiff adjustable Panhard bar does much more than just allow you to recenter the axle under the car which in itself makes the car feel closer to the same from side to side but most folks don't know this or even recognize this fact.

Anyway if you have anyother questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:31 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Aww c'mon - throw in a little toe-out sissy! I wanna go - HEEERE!

Slight hi-jack - Koni officially has prices and part #'s posted for the yellows. They should be out in July. Koni-na.com

My Bilsteins have done surprisingly well, but i've been needing adjustability. Tokico had a bad rep on their past products but appear to be spot on with the d-specs. They will make a difference regardless of spring rate.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:58 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Slight hi-jack - Koni officially has prices and part #'s posted for the yellows. They should be out in July. Koni-na.com

My Bilsteins have done surprisingly well, but i've been needing adjustability. Tokico had a bad rep on their past products but appear to be spot on with the d-specs. They will make a difference regardless of spring rate.

Hey Flyer,

I was trying to not scare the guy by suggestingaggressive alignment settings. My own carhas the D-Specsset to 2 1/2 turns out in front and 3 turns out on the rearwith1/16 toe out and -1.3 degrees negativecamberand you are right it tends to go where you look. Most folks think my car's suspensionis too agressive and nervous but I like it just fine for the canyons along Mulholland Highway and making my favorite run up Route 1 from L.A. to Laguna Seca (oops, Mazda Raceway),or the City for a weekend. My carhas 25,000 miles on it and the funny thing is that 20% of that milage is from driving up and down PCH toLaguna or the City. I LOVE PCH!

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:06 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I like to run "the gauntlet" - Sand Canyon-Little Tujunga Canyon. FUN!!!! I got a girl to lose herlunch thru there LOL

I know, I was being sarcastic. My car is track toy first/ driver second. If I drove it daily I wouldn't get ridiculous on the alignment. I'm planning on going to LAGUNA SECA (screw Mazda!) in October.

I do prefer the adjustmentknob on the Koni's as compared to the Tokicos. I have more than one buddy that has lost the damned thing.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

Hot Dog!I may haveto go on-line and buy a set of Koni Sports, Koniseems to havethem in stock now. WOW! Want to buy a nice clean set of D-Specs?

Cheers!

Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

i'll trade you for my Bil's LOL

Quick Reply: Tokico D-specs w/o lowering