Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How to lubricate bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Default How to lubricate bushings?

Probably a dumb question, but how do you lubricate bushings? Specifically for me I want to lubricate the bushings on the front sway bar attached to the radiator. They are very squeaky. Do the bushings come in halves so you can lubricate the inside where the bushing touches the sway bar? I've read I need to use silcone based grease. Can I buy this at any local autoshop?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: How to lubricate bushings?

They are rubber and dont need lubricating
Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

I have a Steeda front sway-bar. Those bushings need lubricating I think. If not, I wonder where the darn squeaks are coming from.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:28 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmsurpri

Probably a dumb question, but how do you lubricate bushings? Specifically for me I want to lubricate the bushings on the front sway bar attached to the radiator. They are very squeaky. Do the bushings come in halves so you can lubricate the inside where the bushing touches the sway bar? I've read I need to use silcone based grease. Can I buy this at any local autoshop?
Thanks

As usual it depends. Do you have aftermarket suspension parts installed? If so then you probably need to relube the anti-roll bar bushings if they are polyurethane. Polyurethane bushings like to get lubed regularly to prevent squeaks. If they are the stock anti-roll bars and bushings you mayhave some kind of contamination in between the bushing and the anti-roll bar in which case you will need to pull the bushing caps off and open the bushing or slide it over, clean the bushing and bar then use a little bit of silicone based lube to lube the bushing where the bar is held. On the original bushings you must use silicone, not an carbonbased grease or you will acceleratesoftening and wearof the rubber bushing. If the bushing is an aftermarket poly type you can use silicone or carbon based grease like Mobil 1 synthetic or "natural" oil based grease but whatever you do use a marine type grease to reduce the need to repeat this exercise too often!

Cheers!
Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I have new BMR LCA's and rear anti-sway bar to install. The instructions say to only use "silicone based polyurethane lube." Now to find some.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:12 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black GT

I have new BMR LCA's and rear anti-sway bar to install. The instructions say to only use "silicone based polyurethane lube." Now to find some.
Hi Black GT,

You can use any high qualitymarine grade grease from synthetic or ground based oil stocks. the key part is to use a marine grade grease which is what keeps the grease from coming off or washing away like a regular automotive grease would tend to do. Silicone grease is not any better in terms of lubrosity nordoes silicome based grease react any differently thancarbon based greases dobut it does stick better than standard automotive grease does which is why marine or silicone greases are recommended.

HTH!

Old 06-09-2007, 05:03 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hi Black GT,

You can use any high qualitymarine grade grease from synthetic or ground based oil stocks. the key part is to use a marine grade grease which is what keeps the grease from coming off or washing away like a regular automotive grease would tend to do. Silicone grease is not any better in terms of lubrosity nordoes silicome based grease react any differently thancarbon based greases dobut it does stick better than standard automotive grease does which is why marine or silicone greases are recommended.

HTH!

Cool, thanks for the info!

Old 06-09-2007, 03:39 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

Also a related question, how do you lubricate the bushings in the LCAs? I have Steeda LCAs, and I see there is a little attachmenton the underside of each bushing. Do I just unscrew this and squirt grease into there?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:02 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmsurpri

Also a related question, how do you lubricate the bushings in the LCAs? I have Steeda LCAs, and I see there is a little attachmenton the underside of each bushing. Do I just unscrew this and squirt grease into there?

Are they squeaking? If not leave them alone. If they are squeaking you need a grease gun and a tube of marine type grease. These things are cheap at the localautoparts stores but you can also just disassemble, throughly clean all the bushings inside and out, inspect the bushings for any damage thenlubing all surfaces that rub anything and then reassemble the control arm bushings and install.

HTH!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:11 PM
jmsurpri
1st Gear Member

I have lots of squeaks, front and rear. I bought the car with all the aftermarket suspension compenents, so I'm thinking of relubing all the bushings since who knows if the previous owner did everything right.

Quick Reply: How to lubricate bushings?