Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni FSD Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM
colnago

Default Koni FSD Shocks

I don't know whether this has already been posted but Koni is now listing the FSD shocks for the Mustang on its website. Tire Rack doesn't know when they'll be in stock but from what I've heard of FSD shocks they'll be worth waiting for...perhaps the ultimate solution to the lowered Mustang's ride issues. I'm pretty sure Dinan uses Konis on its suspensions for BMWs and my testdrive of a Dinan M5 left me amazed at the improvement in both body control and ride even though the suspension was lowered.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Koni FSD Shocks

ORIGINAL: colnago
I don't know whether this has already been posted but Koni is now listing the FSD shocks for the Mustang on its website. Tire Rack doesn't know when they'll be in stock but from what I've heard of FSD shocks they'll be worth waiting for...perhaps the ultimate solution to the lowered Mustang's ride issues. I'm pretty sure Dinan uses Konis on its suspensions for BMWs and my testdrive of a Dinan M5 left me amazed at the improvement in both body control and ride even though the suspension was lowered.
Hi colnago,

If you wan a nice ride and are willing to give up some handling and all adjustability the Koni FSD are a good option as are the Bilstein HD's that are currently available. The Bilstein may ride a bit better than the Koni FSD's but we won't know until they are out. Both of these are confort oriented at the expense of handling performance and damping adjustablity.

If you are after performancethe Tokico D-Spec's (whichhas a single adjustment knobfor both rebound and compression), have been available for some timeand proven to workvery well for almost any use from drag racing toopen track daystoauto-xto freeway flying confort.If you are after a Koni brand damper you will need to wait a bit longer for the Koni Sport dampers which will be road course oreinted because you can only adjust the aKoni Sport forrebound damping and not compression. FYI, Dinan usesKoni Sport dampers with a custom valve stack setupwith damping curvers designed for their own slightly stiffer and slightly lowersprings. Part of the difference in ride is that Dinan is startingwith a fullyindependant suspension with much more suspension travel then the S197 Mustang's strut and solid rear axle. But when push comes to shove the S197 chassis is an easy match for both thePorsche911'sand BMW M3's on the race track. It's just here in the real world where ride is an issue that the differences are more pronouced.

Cheers!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:26 AM
colnago

Default RE: Koni FSD Shocks

Koni emailed me to say the FSD won't be released until 08...by that time my suspension will have disintegrated thanks to our fine L.A. road system so it's Bilstein or Tokico for me I suppose.