Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Issues after BMR LCA install

Old 07-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Rudiepoo1
1st Gear Member

Default Issues after BMR LCA install

Recently had the BMR billet lowers with relocation brackets installed just like the Hurst I posted about Well now after two days I hear an intermittent metal clunk from the rear on the drivers side. Doesn't happen all the time but now it happens sometimes when I'm accelerating out of first and not just if I roll over a bump or something. When my buddy installed them they were torqued to spec. I first checked the clearance between the panhard and my low profile axle girdle and didn't see any issues there. Called BMR and they said to re-torque them again and sounded like it may be coming from the front of the lower away from the axle.They said sometimes they have heard that the factory boltsmay work lose and needto be tightened again. We're planning on inspecting everything just haven't had a chance. This is my daily so I'm hoping that it doesn't get too much worse before we can get to it this weekend. Anything else I could be missing here?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:29 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Issues after BMR LCA install

ORIGINAL: Rudiepoo1
Recently had the BMR billet lowers with relocation brackets installed just like the Hurst I posted about Well now after two days I hear an intermittent metal clunk from the rear on the drivers side. Doesn't happen all the time but now it happens sometimes when I'm accelerating out of first and not just if I roll over a bump or something. When my buddy installed them they were torqued to spec. I first checked the clearance between the panhard and my low profile axle girdle and didn't see any issues there. Called BMR and they said to re-torque them again and sounded like it may be coming from the front of the lower away from the axle.They said sometimes they have heard that the factory boltsmay work lose and needto be tightened again. We're planning on inspecting everything just haven't had a chance. This is my daily so I'm hoping that it doesn't get too much worse before we can get to it this weekend. Anything else I could be missing here?
Hi Rudiepoo1,

Did you replace all of the nonkit supplied suspension fasteners with new Ford dealer supplied fasteners? If not this may be part of your problem. All of the major suspension fasteners used on the S197 chassis are single use only and are intended to be discarded when removed. Retorquing the fasteners just stretches the bolts and makes the problem worse. First I suggest that you get the car up on a drive on lift like at a muffler shop or alignment shop. This will allow you to get under the car and see all of the suspension in their normal loaded positions. You need to find out if there is any mechanical interference or anyplace the parts even come close to touching. You can rock the car and look for parts that even come close to touching. If you find any parts that come close look for wittnessmarks on these part. Whitnessmarks are the mechanical evidence that you have a mechanical fitment problem. Are you certain tha the LCA's are oriented corectly leftand right?

HTH!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Rudiepoo1
1st Gear Member

Hey F1,
BMR stated there is no problem re-using the factory bolt and long and it hasn't been a multitude of times. We did torque to proper specs but did not use loctite on them. While the car was on the ground I got under it tried to push & pull on things to see if I could hear anything and I did not. Also inspected axle girdle in relation to panhard (that's the tightest clearance) of any parts that I can see and no rubbing anywhere thatI can see. Arms are properly orriented in relation to driver & passenger side. The one thing I did notice is if that the inside of the axle brace that the control arm brackets mount to is actually pusing down against the bushings - on both sides, drivers seems worse than passenger. I called BMR on this and they actually installed a set of the brackets and then they stated that being that their billet arms are thicker than the other ones that if the tophole is being usedthe brackets may touch the bushings but that it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know if I can agree with that statement but until we get the car up in the air to inspect it better we'll have to see. They are rush shipping two new sets of bushings. So the plan is to get everything torn apart tomorrow and re-installed.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey F1,
BMR stated there is no problem re-using the factory bolt and long and it hasn't been a multitude of times. We did torque to proper specs but did not use loctite on them. While the car was on the ground I got under it tried to push & pull on things to see if I could hear anything and I did not. Also inspected axle girdle in relation to panhard (that's the tightest clearance) of any parts that I can see and no rubbing anywhere thatI can see. Arms are properly orriented in relation to driver & passenger side. The one thing I did notice is if that the inside of the axle brace that the control arm brackets mount to is actually pusing down against the bushings - on both sides, drivers seems worse than passenger. I called BMR on this and they actually installed a set of the brackets and then they stated that being that their billet arms are thicker than the other ones that if the tophole is being usedthe brackets may touch the bushings but that it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know if I can agree with that statement but until we get the car up in the air to inspect it better we'll have to see. They are rush shipping two new sets of bushings. So the plan is to get everything torn apart tomorrow and re-installed.
Hi Rudiepoo1,

I know BMR says (heck mosteveryonebut Ford says the same thing, reuse once or twice),you can reuse them but my experience has shown me the bolts and nuts used on the LCA's and UCA are really only good for at most maybe one additionalfull torque cycle before the bolt starts to stretch and you cannot achive the full 129ft/lb.within 90 degreesrotation. If you are getting the full torque but it takes more than 1/4 turn after getting to about 90% of the spec torque your bolts are unsafe and aretrash can material. A good nutand bolt does not need any Loctite toretain the correct torque. That is why every nut and bolt has a specified torque value, at the specified torque value the nut is more than capable of retaining full torque as long as the bolt and nut are not compromised. This is why you should replace the fasteners with Ford supplied fasteners each time you remove them in this application so you know absolutely that the fasteners are safe.It'sthe people who are riding with you and your own neck you are putting at risk, be careful here.

What I mean was the axle side LCA offset that should be designed into that end of the LCA, are you cetain that it is installed with the offset oriented correctly. Also what is the axle brace as you call it? I have not instaled a set of BMR billet LCA's but under no conditions should you have ANY mechanical interference between the LCA's and ANY part of the suspension throughout the full range of the suspension! If ANYTHING is touching or hitting your billetLCA's they will be subject to fracture and failure. The LCA's should move freely both in the chassis and on the axle ends without any interference or you have an installation or design problem.

Please keep me postedand tell me whay you ment by axle brace.

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:42 AM
Rudiepoo1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

Hey F1,
Hi Rudiepoo1,

I know BMR says (heck mosteveryonebut Ford says the same thing, reuse once or twice),you can reuse them but my experience has shown me the bolts and nuts used on the LCA's and UCA are really only good for at most maybe one additionalfull torque cycle before the bolt starts to stretch and you cannot achive the full 129ft/lb.within 90 degreesrotation. If you are getting the full torque but it takes more than 1/4 turn after getting to about 90% of the spec torque your bolts are unsafe and aretrash can material. A good nutand bolt does not need any Loctite toretain the correct torque. That is why every nut and bolt has a specified torque value, at the specified torque value the nut is more than capable of retaining full torque as long as the bolt and nut are not compromised. This is why you should replace the fasteners with Ford supplied fasteners each time you remove them in this application so you know absolutely that the fasteners are safe.It'sthe people who are riding with you and your own neck you are putting at risk, be careful here.

What I mean was the axle side LCA offset that should be designed into that end of the LCA, are you cetain that it is installed with the offset oriented correctly. Also what is the axle brace as you call it? I have not instaled a set of BMR billet LCA's but under no conditions should you have ANY mechanical interference between the LCA's and ANY part of the suspension throughout the full range of the suspension! If ANYTHING is touching or hitting your billetLCA's they will be subject to fracture and failure. The LCA's should move freely both in the chassis and on the axle ends without any interference or you have an installation or design problem.

Please keep me postedand tell me whay you ment by axle brace.

Cheers!

Ok....so yesterday I ordered new nuts & bolts from Ford just to eliminate that issue and my new bushings should be here from BMR today. I understand that any good hardware combination that is properly torqued should not need loctite but I thought I saw some on Ford's bolts as well. So are you saying I shouldn't use any on the new factory bolts? The arms are installed properly per BMR's instructions, the smaller portion of the arm up front which means the offset is to the rear. I did check the car last night by just tugging on the drivers side arm with the car on the ground and hear the noise I was referring to and it seems like it is coming from the front of the arm so that bolt probably has worked itself loose somewhat.

When I stated axle brace I was referring to the original spot where the rear factory arms mount to. Which for all intent is a brace that is welded to the axle, this is where the relocation brackets now mount to. Once the relocation brackets are in place the arm is mounted to the highesthole (there are only two) for BMR's brackets. This now puts the bushings in contact with the lower portion of the inner spot of where the brackets are mounted to the axle brace. Best way to take a look at this is to refer to BMR's instructions for their brackets and then you should have a better idea of what I'm referring to, sorry if I'm not being clear. I don't believe this to be the source of the problem it's just unfortunate that it is this way. I think the only way it wouldn't be an issue is if I moved the arms to the lower hole but I don't believe this would be ideal for a daily driven car. If anyone else can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated. The tear down and re-install is happening later on today so I'm hoping everything will be remedied then!!!