Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCAs and UCA installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

Default LCAs and UCA installed

Got Granatelli LCAs and UCA installed yesterday, I looked underneath and a cable , some kind of line I think, is rubbing up against each side LCA , is this normal ? Also it seems I hear alot of clanking around when going over bumps? Sound weird ? lol

Installed said he had to drop gas tank to install UCA? BS ?

thanks

Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: LCAs and UCA installed

1. cable is th ebrake
2. yes dropping the gas tank helps
3. if its clanking or thunking then something isnt installed right.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:06 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LCAs and UCA installed

ORIGINAL: desslok40
Got Granatelli LCAs and UCA installed yesterday, I looked underneath and a cable , some kind of line I think, is rubbing up against each side LCA , is this normal ? Also it seems I hear alot of clanking around when going over bumps? Sound weird ? lol

Installed said he had to drop gas tank to install UCA? BS ?

thanks

Hi desslok40,

Some additional noises are normal but if you hear loud metal on metal clunks or squeaking you may havean installation problem. I could besomething simple likenot using lube on one bushing or as unfortunate as a bad part that was forced into place, it is hard to tell without seeing the car and taking it apart to fix it.There is some additional noisebeing transmissted through the LCA's and UCA into the cabin. Thisextra noise is from the loss of isolation of the rear end (diff),from using poly bushings. Some bushings are harder thanothere and the harder they are the more noise they tranmit. This is also the car where you have rod ends or heimjoints in the control arms ans anti-roll bars. I don't know what you bought so I cannot sayfor certain.

Can you confirm the pinion angle was set correctly?If you have all poly bushing in your LCA's and UCAthe pinion noise should be pointed downward about -2 degrees in relationship to the drive shaft segment closest to the dif. with the car sitting on the ground. If the pinion angle is off you can hear addtional noises that should not be there and there will be some drivetrain losses and in the long term you will damage the joints on the diff and driveshaft.

HTH!