Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Edelbrock Strut Tower Brace

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Default Edelbrock Strut Tower Brace

Anyone have any experience with the Edelbrock strut tower brace (p/n 5223)? Looks like a well engineered piece and the price is good.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:20 AM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Edelbrock Strut Tower Brace

strut tower bars do nothing on this chassis but add weight, unless you have more mods than what is in your sig.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 AM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Anyone else?
Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

I havnt seen anyone on here with it...
this is the one I went with.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I haven't seen anyone either. With search not working right it doesn't help. I'm leaning to the Edelbrock due to it being triangulated to the firewall. Which one is that you have?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A 3-point STB is at least theoretically a better approach, but there are a few things to consider. Primary being what the firewall looks like in terms of structural strength/stiffness.

A separate consideration involves whether you intend to compete with the car and what class rules would be in effect (Stock class auto-X does not permit ANY STB's, and other classes do not allow the 3-point types). Not being able to use one certainly didn't hurt Sam Strano at this year's SCCA Solo (auto-X) Nationals - 1st in F Stock by a huge margin and best indexed time over all other competitors including those in fully developed race-only cars and shifter karts.

I'm willing to bet that should you install a STB of any sort, you'll notice more of a change inthe NVH than in the handling - and I won't even try to tell youwhether a 3-point would be better or worse than a 2-point in this respect (too many variables). IIRC Buick has included a (2- point) STB in some of their FWD models, almost certainlywith NVH reasons held in much higher regard than hard cornering behavior. Modern chassis structures are getting pretty stiff, and I don't yet see anything in the list of mods that would load the strut towers to an appreciably greater amount than the car could when it was 100% assembly line stock.

I'm not particularly biased either way on this issue unless you're going to count an engineer'shealthy skepticism with most anybody's advertising copy as such. Basically, whichever way you decide (2-pt, 3-pt, other, none), do so for the right reason from your point of view rather than on some salesman's pitch.

Norm
Old 10-17-2007, 06:35 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Waste of money. What you think you are looking at as the firewall is just a fascia with no rigidity. I hardly call the Edelbrock piece "engineered". 99% of the crap available is hardly so and much of it is carryover hype from the previous flex can of a chassis. Many parts are designed with the previous car in mind and just aren't the same as this one.

If I had a vert I suppose I would get one for piece of mind because they're cheap.

Go to GriggsRacing.com and chect out the GR40 kit. You wont find a strut tower brace in it. Wanna guess why?

Spend your money on another area of the car that does need improvement. Or beer.......

Nothing is more fun for me at the track than running down other S197's with a lot more money and parts on them than mine.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

I have heard marginal gains but these people also did the G-trac bar too.

Some of it may be in their heads . . .if I spent $200 bucks on a brace I would hope to feel something real or imagined.

Also consider the weight of the bar, some are heavy. No need putting more weight on the front if you aren't going to improve the understeer.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06elnr

I havnt seen anyone on here with it...
this is the one I went with.
Just ordered mine, but in chrome...got it just for the looks, not functionality.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
navyscott
1st Gear Member

Norm,
Thank you for the rational, detailed answer. Just looking to tighten up the chassis a bit and that seemed like a good place to start. I'd like to avoid a big increase in NVH wherever possible unless the gains outweigh it; that would not seem to be so in this case. Think I'll redirect my energy towards subframe connectors, always had good luck there.
And everyone else, thanks for the input. My wallet thanks you as well. [8D]

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Strut Tower Brace