Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

what front sway bar setup maxs front grip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 PM
idlemarcus

Default what front sway bar setup maxs front grip?

i wasn't happy with stock's understeer, so i started reading up on things and here i am. my first experiment was to get rid of the stock front sway bar based on the idea that less weight transfer between front wheels would result in more grip, therefore less understeer. perhaps that would have worked had i not found the limits of the front suspension travel . now i have a matching set of adjustable hellwig sway bars, set to min stiffness in front, max in rear. i considered the car acceptable like this until i saw the wear on the outer part of the bottom of my front wheels. the wear might have been mostly done during my earlier setups, which lasted for 7 months, but ive really only driven the car hard since i got the hellwigs(past 2 months). due to the wear, and the fact that i didnt try stock front/hellwig rear, im left wondering if i can still get more front grip with a different sway bar matchup without losing oversteer.

any help would be appreciated.

edit: my concern is that going back to stock front will expose me to a worse part of the camber curve on hard turns. any data on our camber curve would be MUCH appreciated.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:58 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Default RE: what front sway bar setup maxs front grip?

Are you lowered? what springs and shocks? pic of the tire wear? stock rubber? last alignment?
(front bar removal is usually done to eliminate weight for drag racing (straight line)... you need the front bar to help comtrol body
roll on curves)
Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 AM
idlemarcus

Default RE: what front sway bar setup maxs front grip?

my car is unmodified except for sway bars.