Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Handling Help?

Old 12-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Handling Help?

I completely agree with the above posts that point out the Driver mod is the first step to getting around a track faster. No question.

However, I disagree with the implication that suspension mods are worthless on the street. If you have the money and want to do it...just do it. The D-Specs are awesome and combined with a good set of lowering springs not only look good but gives a sweet ride. Without question you can tell a difference. I'm not necessarily taking corners faster but the feel is great, it just hugs the cruves and there is a noticeable improvement in how the car handles any bumps in a corner - they don't upset the car at all. Plus with the D-Specs you get the adjustability so you can dial in the firmness you want. You can alsoput the back and front on different settings to add more balance, give the rear a little more grip and dial out a bit of the understeer. Again - if your goal was to go racing than I think the above advice is spot on, train yourself first. But since that isn't your goal...I say go for it on the springs and struts/shocks. Also - you don't need a bigger front sway bar, take a look at the one you got, its big and stiff.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

The OP said the suspension mods were worthless, not the rest of us. Most of us correctly judged the OP maturity and experience level based on the tone and comments of his numerous posts, and with our wisdom (or conservatism) suggested instead of making a good handling car better without improving the novice driver mod, he should start with the basics, otherwise we would be in essence giving him poor advice.

He wants the car to handle like a vette or a BMW, both are good handling vehicles, but he has no intention of learning how to properly learn how to control the car with his desired "better handling". That shows his mental age is a little young/green. He is still dead set on all season tires, like they are the holy grail of handling, again a little green. He wants a bigger sway bar on the frontbut doesn't know what that will do to the car, he will understeer right into the first tree he can find.

I could go on and on. You can see that the suspension gurus that were helping him in the begining have lost interest as he hasn't gotten the whole picture yet.

If you think I am being harsh, think about it this way. Since owning a mustang and attending local club events, I have learned that there is a sense of community or family if you will. This forum is just an extention of that. Why would you want to give poor advice to a family member or friend? Saying its your money, do what you want is fine? Yes, just because you own a mustang, doesn't mean you are not an idiot and that everyone should treat you like you are family. But for example, if my younger cousin had just gotten a mustang and was asking me for advice about what to spend his money on, I wouldn't say, hey you got stock mustang and 5K in your pocket, you should put a blower on there make it as fast as you can. To me, that is like leading him towards disaster. Why should we as a mustang community tell someone who obviously needs advice to spend his money on making his car handle better (debatable based on his choice of components), which he will interpret as false confidence in his car and abilities without telling him to learn how to control what he has first?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The D-Specs are probably a good thing all by themselves, and represent an upgrade for what are "wear items" anyway. OE damping is still biased in favor of a relativelysofter ride as opposed to firmer chassis control.

The point about lowering is that it doesn't necessarily provide as much performance improvement as the change in appearance suggests. While that might be a"goodenough" stopping point as far as driving behavior at normal intensity goes (and which will fully satisfy the majority of customers), it may not pass everybody's "bang for the buck" criteria on either the $ part of the equation byitself, the performance improvement part, or some combination of the two. All I can do is help somebody decide for themself by providing description that you most likely won't ever see inthe advertising copy. I'm probably a little off toward the hardcore performance side of the spectrum - and not at all likely to do an appearance-only mod - and hopefully it shows. No big secret anyway.

Norm