Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Tokico adjustable VS non

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

Default Tokico adjustable VS non

So im doing my suspension this winter and wondering if i should go adjustable or not. For sure they kick *** but im only goin to be driving on the street and 1/4 mile few times this summer. Is adjustable necessary for those condions? or should i save the extra money and get something else? Kinda in a bind here.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Tokico adjustable VS non

Are adjustables necessary? No, not really. But like anything it depends on what you consider necessary. Are changing the OEM's out necessary at this time? Probably not if you are on stock springs, but you can benefit from it. I just don't like to see folks spend 2/3rds of the money of something really good to get something that's just a little better.

Adjustables give you a ton of flexibility. You can change the ride of the car. You change the response of the car. You can effect so much that I simply feel it's a no-brainer if you can swing them. I've got a lot of shocks, including both the normal Tokico's and the D-specs. You can take a look at some of what we have here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...&ModelID=5

Damping is what makes a BMW not feel like a Cadillac. Additional rebound damping makes the car feel more locked down, less ponderous. It also slows roll rate, and that in turn makes the car change direction faster. You can adjust damping at both ends independently. Say the rear feels a bit lazy compared to the front, you can turn up the rears or you could turn down the front, or a bit of both. It really depends on what you are searching for in the ride/handling balance. Non-adjustalbes can't do that. If you go drag racing you can soften the front and the rear to get quicker weight transfer. You can add more rear shock if you have a lot of people or stuff in the car (say on vacation) to help control the added weight.

If you got a tune, would you be happy with a generic mail order tune when you could have a programmer or even better a flash that's actually dyno tuned to your car, to your liking for the way you drive it? This is very much the same thing. Dampers are the key to a car working correctly and well.

Give me a choice between a car with better shocks, and one with so-so shocks and springs, and I'll time and again take the car with the better dampers because it'll be easier to drive faster. And it'll ride better too.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Given that you intend to make 1/4 mile passes, I would say d-specs are a no brainer. You will gain SO much versatility over non adjustables. The cost is nominal compared to the performance difference.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
sweetlou69
2nd Gear Member

good call, adjustables are the way to go. its def not a money issue so F it could invest my money into much worse things than dspecs right