Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Watt's Linkage Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

Default Watt's Linkage Suspension System

I know that Saleen makes a watt's linkage system, but I was wondering if anyone else makes one too and if so how it compares to the Saleen system. I also would like to know if a watt's linkage system is worth the$1000+.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:39 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Watt's Linkage Suspension System

heard there was a recall on them.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:39 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The Saleen had a recall issue, and a part to fix the problem has been released. IMO it is poly bushed, and has no adjustment for height, therefore making it flawed for it's purpose. The Griggs unit is properly done, and is about the same price, however for anything but a race car the small performance increase is not worth the cost. Most drivers wouldn't really notice the difference. As with anything there will likely be a lot of placebo effect buyers that will swear buy it, but the reality is that the Saleen unit is more novelty than necessity, and the Griggs unit is overkill for a street car.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

But if you are serious about road racing, you will want it...
Old 01-12-2008, 06:21 AM
BartSimpson
1st Gear Member

So should be done to improve the handling of the rear end? UCA's, LCA's, panhard bar, rear sway bar?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
houstonnw
2nd Gear Member

I bought an '07 Mustang GT in June and did 8 track days in 2007. Based on a lot of good advice, I left my '07 Mustang GT stock, even down to the Pirelli P Zero all-seasons. I got pretty good at Texas World Speedway, even to the point where I could chase down Honda S2000's with similar (IMO) drivers.

So for the street the stock suspension is very very good. Add wider tires and good lightweight wheels if you want. But you really don't need to change the suspension.

If you want to lower the car for looks, I can't help you there. I just upgraded to better tires and brake pads, but have not done anything to the suspension.

I have some money set aside for a "full" Griggs Racing suspension but no one that I trust thinks that it is time yet. So again, IMO, on the street the stock suspension is about all you need.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

1. Driver experience/instruction/seat time (you'll have a better idea what you want and/or what the car needs to be better at)

2. Tires/Wheels

3. Everything else. (might want to start with shocks)

About here I'll recommend against thinking abouta WL until you understand what it can do better than a PHB and more importantly why- and how it's possible to mount a WL such that it ends up being not as good as the OE PHB. Start by tracking down a copy of Fred Puhn's book"How To Make Your Car Handle" (around $20, last I heard).

Norm
Old 01-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Norm

Thanks for the tip on the book it is available in Canada as well for only $17.16 CDN!

Any other suggestions for reading material asmost of my booksare over 30 years old?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Here's a (partial) list of books with chassis info that I've accumulated over time.

Chassis Engineering (Herb Adams)
Performance Handling (Don Alexander)
Chevrolet Power, 5th Edition (GM)
Basic Chassis, Suspension & Brakes (Hot Rod)
Chassis Brakes Suspension (Hot Rod)
Hot Rod Yearbook No. 11 (Hot Rod)
Mustang Performance Handbook 2 (William Mathis)
Race Car Vehicle Design (William & Doug Milliken)
Mopar Chassis (Mopar)
The Car and its Wheels (Jan P. Norbye)
Honda Builder's Handbook, Volume II (Joe Pettit)
How to Make Your Car Handle (Fred Puhn)
Camaro Performance Handbook (David Shelby)
Prepare to Win (Carroll Smith)
Tune to Win (Carroll Smith)
Race Car Engineering & Mechanics (Paul van Valkenburgh)

I also have a Bob Bolles Stock Car-oriented book that I don't remember the exact title to(the above list was copied/pasted from elsewhere).

FWIW, not everything you read in many of the softcover books is 100% correct. In one or two cases, it isn't even 100% consistent with other statements made within the same book. They are mostly minor glitches and in some cases may have been the result of editorial changes that weren't back-checked by the author. Reading thoroughly, and then re-reading with a somewhat questioning/critical eye is suggested.

RCVD is not an entry-level read.

Keep in mind that the physics and engineering haven't changed much; only the details of the solutions. My point is that understanding the concepts and what things might be related is at least as important as the details of any actual examples given as illustration.

Norm
Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Norm

Thanks for the list. I'll look into them and get a few for bedtime reading.

Quick Reply: Watt's Linkage Suspension System