Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Best stock suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Old Chuck

Default Best stock suspension

Looking to purchase in the next six months and want to find the best handling vehicle that comes with a warranty. Looking at the Roush Stage 3 and the Steeda Q series. Any pros or cons on one versus the other? I am just getting back into the mustang after 40 years. The Roush is cheaper but not sure if that is due to volume or cost of upgrades. Any thoughts?
I know I am covering old newbie ground for most of you but looking for a starting place.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best stock suspension

Old Chuck

Another alternative to getting a Roush or Steeda is building one yourself like I am planning to do.

In my case the base car is a GT with a dealer installed Roush 445 HP supercharger. As it is dealer installed there is still a warranty on the engine. I found out this week that thebuild date for my car is Feb 11!

The next step is wheel/tire/suspension/brakeupgrades to bring it up to the desired level of performance.

It will be more work but hopefully in the end I'll have something that will give the Roush or Steeda a run for their money but cost a lot less and still looks stock (hence the handle Sleeper_08).

I am also in the 'senior' group as I was 16 when the Mustang came out and have wanted one ever since.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Looks like this is going to be the unofficial "old geezers and new Mustangs" thread. Last Saturday we put a deposit on a build-to-order '08 GT Premium (black/light graphite, stick, 18", IU & Comfort pkgs). You guys heard it first.

I'll eventually take an upgrade path similar to Sleeper, but at a lower power point (probably just a cold air kit and a tune). I have no particular interest in modifying the car's appearance beyond what's consequential to the handling mods, and there is a bit of "gingerbread" in the tuner packages that I'd rather not have.

Wheels and tires first (think GT500 front package all around), probably with the cheapie TPMS tool so I can swap between sets without having to run it through the service dep't. Then I'll drive it a while, get used to it,and see just what I want it to do differently. It's been a couple of years since I last drove a RWD car with any regularity, and even though I've tinkered with the FWD cars a bit to make them happierabout corneringI know that there's some re-learning ahead of me. I'll take a few measurements and estimate what the "flat ride" speed is, where the chassis understeer/oversteer balance lieswith the suspensioncompletely OE, and go from there.

FWIW, in some other thread Sam Strano noted that these cars behave as if they have stiffer springs than what the actual rates suggest, and that is exactly what I found out within the first mile of the test drive even though the GT test car was only wearing the base 235/55-17 tires.

Norm
Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Norm

Welcome to the old geezers and new Mustangs group. I ordered mine on Dec 13 and learned last week that the build date is Feb 11 and I should get it in early March. The model line ups in Canada are a little different than in the US but mine is a plain white GT, cloth interior, extra anti theft and chrome exhaust tips.

I'm seriously thinking about swapping the GT badges for V6 badges to help with the sleeper part.