Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Will just lowering springs with no shocks really mess up my ride that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

Default Will just lowering springs with no shocks really mess up my ride that bad?

I have been seriously considering giving my 07 GT a moderate lowering for a while now. What I am curious to know is that if I dont get shocks, and only get springs is my ride going to really be that bad?(comfort wise) I dont plan to drop it too much. Roughly .8 in the front and maybe like 1.2 in the rear to even it out. Im also reading alot about camber plates and bolts, do I need either of these. Lastly, what do you think is the best springs for my situation(moderate drop, not extreme, preferably no shocks because of budget.)

Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:14 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Will just lowering springs with no shocks really mess up my ride that bad?

Check out this thread that is also active right now https://mustangforums.com/m_4565447/tm.htm
Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Will just lowering springs with no shocks really mess up my ride that bad?

Also here is another thread that is active right now https://mustangforums.com/m_4570661/tm.htm
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I suggest the Steeda Ultralites if you're not going to do shocks. They have the same compression rate as stock, so they won't wear out your shocks neary as fast as a stiffer spring would. Stkjock is running them with the stock springs for a couple of years now without problems.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

At the risk of sounding like the naysayer, I will be.

"Shocks" (generically) are dampers--spring and mass dampers. When you change springs, you change the needs of the dampers. Increased spring rate means the need for increased rebound control to damp energy stored in the stiffer springs. Even if you don't increase the rate you are cutting out working travel. And dampers need to move to work. They have to drag their piston through oil to give the resistance). I also don't think that lowering a car and not upping the rate is a great idea. That only makes you contact the bumpstops more abruptly and more often than like rate springs with greater travel.

Add to that the stock "shocks" aren't great (not terrible, many worse), and I'd highly recommend upgrading those first. They can't help your looks, but you'd have a better driving car for it. The best answer is to do both if you want to lower. You get the looks and the best driveability, provided you pick a good damper to match.

FWIW, the OEM dampers do lack rebound, particularly in the rear. I know my car and others at times feel light in the rear, particularly when it unloads quickly.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'll add:

You don't need camber plates. Might need bolts, but most likely not. A 1.2" drop is not small, though it might be less than some, it's still a tangible amount of lowering. And if you drop the car an adjustable panhard bar would be wise to re-center the axle under the body from the drop (body PHB mount moves, axle one does not changing the relationship and the relative length of the PHB).
Old 02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
BlackTwist
1st Gear Member

intresting stuff, thanks for the tips sam and drbobvs. It looks like I may just have to get the dampeners like you said. Tough decision :\ Because now I have to decide between lowering and horsepower.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

I've got steeda ultralites and so far the ride is not much different than stock. I'm not going to say the stock shocks won't wear out, but sofar so good and i'll be going with a whipple before i worry about the shocks and struts.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The extra mass of the supercharger suggests that you might want a little more rebound damping at least up front if you're looking to maintain the same general 'feel' as OE. That's in addition to the extra rebound damping that the stiffer springs should be paired with, so I think adjustables are even more desirable in your specific case.

In general terms, more sprung mass and more spring rate both call for more rebound damping.

Norm
Old 02-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The supercharger installatin is also a reason to consider using the VOGTLAND GT500 springs as they are stiffer at the front end to handle the extra weight of theSC and intercooler and the rest of the stuff required for the install.

Quick Reply: Will just lowering springs with no shocks really mess up my ride that bad?