Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Do you think a Mustang GT stock should be lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do you think a Mustang GT stock should be lowered?

Norm

What a coincidence - my build date is also this week - Feb 11!
Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM
lindseyquads
2nd Gear Member

Here is before and after pic of mine. H&R 1.8"front 1.9" rear with Bilstein struts

After
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Another yes vote here. I've seen some people put some larger meats on the back with the stock height and I think it looks ok. But otherwise, the stock elevation reminds me of a Taurus set up to haul old fat women to bingo on sundays. I've often wondered why Ford couldn't set these cars up "right" from the factory. Some others seem to have no problem with the correct proportions. A vette for instance, or refrencing the 350Z comparison someone made earlier.... In the end, even if you have to work out a few bugs or make some parking adjustments, its well worth it.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Poco
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lindseyquads

Here is before and after pic of mine. H&R 1.8"front 1.9" rear with Bilstein struts

After
Wow! That is beeutiful![sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM
flyfinn
1st Gear Member

Def.needs lowering. I didn't drive mine not a single foot before the FR3 suspension was put on. I test drove a standard hight GT and it felt like a high rider.. LOL

Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I would agree with others here.... I do think the Mustang looks better lowered slightly from the factory heigth. With that said, it also depends on what area you live in and what kind of daily roads you travel. Sometimes it just isn't feasible.

s ~
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

I agree that the real problem is either that the wheelwells are too big or the stock tires are too small. I like the wheels to be centered in the wheelwells, and they're pretty close stock - especially in the front. The gap is just too big. It's like they put wheelwells from a new Charger (have you SEEN the size of those truck tires?!?) but put regular sized tires on the car.

So, the short answer is that I think it looks better slightly lowered, but not enough that the wheels are clearly no longer centered. I think most of the kits lower the car too far. Of course, that's too far for my taste - whatever floats you're boat...if it's your car, do what pleases you! I know I will!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The wheelwells are too big, because the wheels/tires are slightly too big as it is.The original car, which the S197 is supposed to emulate but not copy directly, rode on 25" tall tires vs today's 27's. It's only a slight exaggeration, but look what's happened all because ofone extra inch of tire diameter and another inch of wheel opening "radius". Wasn't so long ago that a 26" tall245/45-17 was the performance size . . .

I think it would have turned out just fine with 26" tall tires, given that today's more 'squared-off' tire cross-sections already present a more aggressive appearance than did the original car's tires.

It didn't stop me from buying one; it's just something I think could have been done a little differently.

Norm
Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

I voted yes as I think it improves looks and handling but won't be lowering mine. First, I have to get in the driveway, there's no way she's staying out in the street. Second, it would severely limit where I can drive around home and to work. I've already scraped the exhaust a few times.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

We're all fat people and by the time we all load up in there, it IS lowered so I voted no.

Quick Reply: Do you think a Mustang GT stock should be lowered?