Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Take-off sways only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

Default Take-off sways only?

If I install the GT take-off sway bars only in the 4.0, will I notice an appreciable improvement?
If so, then how?

Thank you!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Take-off sways only?

YES! Well, I mean it isn't gonna be as big as a notice over say - Hellwigs or something, but it definately helped me out.

Used to be when it was raining, when turning left over intersections my car ALWAYS felt like it was ready to sway the back end off to the right and throw me into drift mode (open diff of course ). With the gt takeoff sway bar (rear ONLY right now), it doesn't feel like that anymore, and the car reacts a lot better when turning quickly and in short bursts.

However... as stated above, I haven't put my gt takeoff front sway bar on. If its understeer you're fighting, I believe you won't solve much by putting the gt takeoff sways all around. Best route might be an aftermarket rear with a gt takeoff front for that (maybe?).

Heck, for $90 off of ebay for both front and rear sways, I think it was WELL worth it.

I got mine through diversified marketing on ebay... they've been selling good deals!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danbevsv6rumbler

If its understeer you're fighting, I believe you won't solve much by putting the gt takeoff sways all around. Best route might be an aftermarket rear with a gt takeoff front for that (maybe?).

Thanks, dan. Do you mean that an AFTERMARKET rear sway would be bigger than the GT takeoff rear so that understeer would be countered when used with the GT takeoff front?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

not necessarily bigger... literally... but bigger as in strength. for example, the gt takeoff FRONT sway bar is hollow, we all know that. Most aftermarket sway bars are solid, so by running the "weaker" gt takeoff with a "stronger/more solid" rear sway i believe, although I may not be 100% correct, that you can help reduce the understeer in these cars while still having a good amount of limited body roll.

If you're really serious about traction/weight control/body control, you might want to look into going fully aftermarket for your sway bars. I think you're best setup for ultimate sway control would be with adjustable sway bars (hellwigs are adjustable, i believe). The difference in adjustable sway bars is that they can be made to be less or more agressive based on where they are linked to the car.

Try searching for some aftermarket sways, you'll understand when you see pics.

I think Steeda also makes adjustable ones.