Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Advice needed! Springs & dampers

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:13 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Advice needed! Springs & dampers

Hey guys, with all of your help, I have priced out F1Fan's Stage 1 suspension parts, and have come to a grand total of $1,519.70 shipped to my door. I have spoken with an actual FORD dealer for installation of these steeda parts (and the tokico d-specs), and they quoted me 10-11 hours for install time (@ $85/hr, which is a "special" price). I personally feel that is a ridiculous quote-install shouldnt take that long, right? By the way, they are an official Steeda dealer.

Parts plus installation seemsa bit too pricey right now, especially bc it seems like a bogus install time. Now here's my dilemma..... I could probably install the basics myself which are the Steeda springs. Im not sure about the D-specs bc of the adjustments, andI have no idea how the camber plates and strut mounts work, and I do not really want to mess with pinion angle and stuff like that with the panhard bar. Do you guys think it would be okay to take it to a shop, and have them install the springs, d-specs, and Panhard Bar & Bracefirst, and then add all of the rest of the stuff afterwards, or does this defeat the purpose?

These are the parts that I have priced out (steeda part #'s):
Steeda Sport Springs- #555-8215/16
Tokico D-Specs- #578-DSP-12
Steeda Adjustable Strut Mounts- #555-8120
Steeda Billett Camber Plates- #555-8096
Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar- #555-2551
Heavy Duty Panhard Bar Brace- #555-2555
Old 03-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

I think $300 seems a little high for just shocks and springs, no? I could be off, but thats 3 hours at a rate of $100/hr- experienced shops should be able to do it in half the time? Anyone else have any insight?
Hi VerginaStang,

$300? I can do just springs and dampers in less than 3 hours on the floor of my garage! The L.A. rate for goodmechanical labor is $65-$75 per hour. $100 an hour? Is this a Porsche mechanic from Germany?

HTH!
haha... it better be. And he better wash and wax my car after too!
Well, at your install quote of $850, I'm sure you will get that car wash.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Here are some threads and info that might help you decide to do it yourself

LCAs and pinion angle- http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

one time use fasteners - https://mustangforums.com/m_3886399/...tm.htm#4347979

Steeda install instructions http://www.steeda.com/directions/

My own thread about doing the install - https://mustangforums.com/m_4638132/tm.htm

Also you may not need both the Steeda Adjustable Strut Mounts- #555-8120 and Steeda Billett Camber Plates- #555-8096 as the strut mounts have +- 1 degree of adjustment.

Your list didn't include a UCA. Did you consider one?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper_08

Here are some threads and info that might help you decide to do it yourself

LCAs and pinion angle- http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm

one time use fasteners - https://mustangforums.com/m_3886399/...tm.htm#4347979

Steeda install instructions http://www.steeda.com/directions/

My own thread about doing the install - https://mustangforums.com/m_4638132/tm.htm

Also you may not need both the Steeda Adjustable Strut Mounts- #555-8120 and Steeda Billett Camber Plates- #555-8096 as the strut mounts have +- 1 degree of adjustment.

Your list didn't include a UCA. Did you consider one?
I have not considered the UCA yet. ShouldI be considering them at this point?

I was thinking about your point with the whole adjustable strut mounts, and the camber plates. Would someone be able to clarify whether or not I need both, or one or the other. Also, if I only need one, which shouldI get?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Others more knowledgeable than I should comment on whether you need both or not but the upper strut mounts kill two birds with one stone - better mounts and increased camber adjustment. It also depends on how radical you want to go on the negative camber.

In my case allowing for the extra weight of the SC and intercooleron the front end the Vogtland's I'm getting should give me about the same drop as the Steeda sport springs and after reading a lot of posts my decision was to go with thelist of parts shown below.My car will bea year round DD andalso for road coarse track use on both short and long tracks.

Mychoice of poly/rod UCA, LCA and PHB results from wanting to make sure that the extra power from the SC gets to the ground when coming out of a turn. The weld inSteeda LCA relocation brackets are also to designed to fix the LCA angle and once I get some track time to allow for tuning of the angle.

Another objective is to do the job once and then spend my time driving it rather than fixing it.

1) KONI front struts and rear shocks
2) VOGTLAND GT500 springs front and rear
3) UMI poly/rod LCAs and PHB
4) Steeda UCA and mount (555-4109)
5) Steeda PHB brace
6) Steeda Upper Front Strut Mounts, Ball Joint Kit and Bump Steer Kit
7) GT500 Brake kits including stainless steel lines and rear pads
8) FRPP anti roll bar kit front and rear
9) Steeda or alternate brake cooling kit
Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Others more knowledgeable than I should comment on whether you need both or not but the upper strut mounts kill two birds with one stone - better mounts and increased camber adjustment. It also depends on how radical you want to go on the negative camber.

In my case allowing for the extra weight of the SC and intercooleron the front end the Vogtland's I'm getting should give me about the same drop as the Steeda sport springs and after reading a lot of posts my decision was to go with thelist of parts shown below.My car will bea year round DD andalso for road coarse track use on both short and long tracks.

Mychoice of poly/rod UCA, LCA and PHB results from wanting to make sure that the extra power from the SC gets to the ground when coming out of a turn. The weld inSteeda LCA relocation brackets are also to designed to fix the LCA angle and once I get some track time to allow for tuning of the angle.

Another objective is to do the job once and then spend my time driving it rather than fixing it.

1) KONI front struts and rear shocks
2) VOGTLAND GT500 springs front and rear
3) UMI poly/rod LCAs and PHB
4) Steeda UCA and mount (555-4109)
5) Steeda PHB brace
6) Steeda Upper Front Strut Mounts, Ball Joint Kit and Bump Steer Kit
7) GT500 Brake kits including stainless steel lines and rear pads
8) FRPP anti roll bar kit front and rear
9) Steeda or alternate brake cooling kit
I am basically going for the same thing as u, as far as the use of the car- DD and if I decide to take it to the track, I can do that. Id also like to do everything once, and never ever have to deal with fixing things and adjusting angles.

Quick question for you:
How did you decide to go with the Koni dampers, rather than the D-specs? Whats the rationale.... im deciding on which to go with also.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My recollection is that F1Fan, Norm Peterson and Sam Strano all prefer the Koni's so based on that my choice was made. It didn't hurt that back whenI was involved in club racing, over 40 + years ago, Koni's were 'the' shock to have.

The price difference for the Koni's, e.g. $579 vs $707 from Sam, is pretty small in the overall budget for the car.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:32 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey guys, with all of your help, I have priced out F1Fan's Stage 1 suspension parts, and have come to a grand total of $1,519.70 shipped to my door. I have spoken with an actual FORD dealer for installation of these steeda parts (and the tokico d-specs), and they quoted me 10-11 hours for install time (@ $85/hr, which is a "special" price). I personally feel that is a ridiculous quote-install shouldnt take that long, right? By the way, they are an official Steeda dealer.

Parts plus installation seemsa bit too pricey right now, especially bc it seems like a bogus install time. Now here's my dilemma..... I could probably install the basics myself which are the Steeda springs. Im not sure about the D-specs bc of the adjustments, andI have no idea how the camber plates and strut mounts work, and I do not really want to mess with pinion angle and stuff like that with the panhard bar. Do you guys think it would be okay to take it to a shop, and have them install the springs, d-specs, and Panhard Bar & Bracefirst, and then add all of the rest of the stuff afterwards, or does this defeat the purpose?

These are the parts that I have priced out (steeda part #'s):
Steeda Sport Springs- #555-8215/16
Tokico D-Specs- #578-DSP-12
Steeda Adjustable Strut Mounts- #555-8120
Steeda Billett Camber Plates- #555-8096
Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar- #555-2551
Heavy Duty Panhard Bar Brace- #555-2555
Hi VerginaStang,

The install time for these parts is not as high as the dealer is billing you for, no way! I can do all of these parts on the floor ofmy garage in 4-5 hours including thecutting time on the strut mounts for the Steeda billet camber plate system. You can do them in your garage with the right tools and some experienced help in about the same time. I encourage you to seek out and find local Mustang car club people or general Mustang car nuts who have the tools and know how to do this install. Your dealer is ripping you off!

If you are using Steeda sport springsyou caneaslyachivefactory Ford camber alignmentspecs using a set of Eibach's $30 camber boltssaving youthecost ofSteeda billet camber plates. For street use the camber bolts work fine and rarely slip out of adjustment unless not torqued to the recommended torque specs. With the extra money you can install a set of FRPP GT500 LCA's and get a handle onimproving your rear axle location.

If you have any questions just ask but the dealer is ripping you off.

HTH!

Old 03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

My recollection is that F1Fan, Norm Peterson and Sam Strano all prefer the Koni's so based on that my choice was made. It didn't hurt that back whenI was involved in club racing, over 40 + years ago, Koni's were 'the' shock to have.

The price difference for the Koni's, e.g. $579 vs $707 from Sam, is pretty small in the overall budget for the car.
Hi Sleeper_08,

There is a group buy for the D-Specs for $479 delivered! Save a hundred bucks! Look HERE!

HTH!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

F1Fan

Thanks for pointing that out butI live in the Great White North (Canada) and that normally results in significant freight and other issues.

For you south of the border folks that is a good deal!

On the 14th of this Month I'm going to the Performance World Show in Toronto and checking out the show specials - hopefully a lot of the parts on my list will be available at prices close to yours. Tires especially seem much more expensive up here and even though Tire Rack ships to Canada the normal free shipping becomes $460 to ship to me.

Quick Reply: Advice needed! Springs & dampers