Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 AM
FMGT/CS

Default Suspension Problem

Need some help so I just installed my Steeda Ultralites Bmr Lca,Lca brackets and Adj. Phb.
Now I have a terrible sound from the rear end. I have checked everything I know of.
All torque specs. have been double check and all components that where affected by
the install. I'm out of ideas and about ready to go back to stock. But I would hate to do
that so please help thank in advance.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Suspension Problem

You need to describe the sound and locate where it is coming from. I had a strange thumping sound I could not figure out until I had my friend push up and down on the back of my while I listened. I found the problem, a loose shock that appeared to be tight, and fixed it.

With the upgraded componets you will hear more noise in general and noises you didn't hear before. The bushings on the stock suspension are soft, the new ones you got aren't.

Find the noise and repost. Good luck
Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

is it a crunching noise? were the wheels hanging freely during install? because they shouldnt have been.. enough lube? need more info on the noise
Old 02-19-2008, 02:15 AM
FMGT/CS

It sounds like a clunking sound.I did have the suspension loaded when I tighted everything.
It only does it on sudden bumps like where the pavement is uneven or pulling inot a gas station . I have put it on a drive on lift and tried bouncing it while under it and didn't here anything.I have double checked everything effected by the install.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

i have the same problem in the same situations... the sound started coming when the weather went below 40 degrees.. im hoping it will go away when it warms up again.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FMGT/CS

Need some help so I just installed my Steeda Ultralites Bmr Lca,Lca brackets and Adj. Phb.
Now I have a terrible sound from the rear end. I have checked everything I know of.
All torque specs. have been double check and all components that where affected by
the install. I'm out of ideas and about ready to go back to stock. But I would hate to do
that so please help thank in advance.

Hi FMGT/CS,

Confirm the orientation of the axle end bushings (assumming you didn't go with rod ends), the side with more offset should be closer to the centerline of the car. You couldalso havethe BMR bushing noise that some folks have had or another strong possibility is that one or both of your overaxle pipes is hitting the Panhard bar brace, this one is popular with the BMR Panhard bar braced cars I've worked on. You can sometimes get the over axle pipea bit more clearance by repositioning the exhaust pipes forward or back to gain the most clearance. Are your LCA relocation brackets welded in? If not double check all of the fasteners on the bracket. If you see no mechanical interference issues break out the Ford shop manual for the S197 andborrow aDIFFERENT,known good andrecently calibrated (less than a year)1/2" torque wrench and start checking your torque values one at a time. Chances are good you have not achived correct torque on one or more fasteners and/or that one or more of the fasteners you reused has failed and is simply yielding or stretching as you turn the nut or bolt.

HTH!

OPPS!

Forgot to mention that you should have used Loctite on all fasteners and one of the popular sources of clunking noises are the jam nuts on any of your adjustable control arms. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:21 AM
FMGT/CS

Thanks F1Fan I do have rod ends on the Lca and Phb.I have checked the exhaust clearance.I also did use loctite as for the welded relocation brackets I put a couple good beads on both sides. On the install I didn't have a torque wrench handy but I did go back and check the torques when I got my hands on one.I have thought about going back and using new fasteners on the Lca just to be safe and rule out thatpossible problem.Even though that was only the second use.I do not have adjustable Lca thought the brackets would help with that issue not sure though. Could it be the jam nuts on the adjustable Phb becouse I have not thought of that.I have gotten under the car while at ride hieght and bounced the car and exhaust and ther is no noise at all just to see if it was the shocks or just something lose.Thanks again for your time.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:43 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FMGT/CS

Thanks F1Fan I do have rod ends on the Lca and Phb.I have checked the exhaust clearance.I also did use loctite as for the welded relocation brackets I put a couple good beads on both sides. On the install I didn't have a torque wrench handy but I did go back and check the torques when I got my hands on one.I have thought about going back and using new fasteners on the Lca just to be safe and rule out thatpossible problem.Even though that was only the second use.I do not have adjustable Lca thought the brackets would help with that issue not sure though. Could it be the jam nuts on the adjustable Phb becouse I have not thought of that.I have gotten under the car while at ride hieght and bounced the car and exhaust and ther is no noise at all just to see if it was the shocks or just something lose.Thanks again for your time.
Hi FMGT/CS,

It sounds like you have done most everything I would have done but double check the jam nuts. they need to be pretty tight to prevent the ends from rattling around in the tube/rod control arm.

HTH!