Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Pzero Neros suck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:44 AM
klostermansa

Default Pzero Neros suck!!!

Ok, I'm sure its been asked before but I'm new so forgive...

I got the 17"s on my 07 V6 Pony (stock sway bars, no suspension mods) and I HATE the pirelli tires.
they ride like wagon wheels, won'tstay balanced,and have less traction than ten speed tires.
ZERO is the perfect name for them, 0 in handling, 0 in comfort, 0 in quality, 0 in value....

All I know about tires are, I love the goodyear eagle z rated on my Crown Vic (55's)
and the BFG's on the 18" wheels on the GT I test drove felt pretty damn goodtoo....

What is the quick and dirty consenses of this forum for a smooth riding, good handling tire with
minimal road feedback. I'm not looking for a super soft, sticky 20K tire, but something softer than
a Pirelli Worthless would be nice. I need something that can move water as it rains here pretty often.
(why did I leave So Cal??) Looking for best bang for the buck....
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pzero Neros suck!!!

The T/A KDWS tires you mentioned are a pretty good tire. I've run them in very severe wet weather conditions with my 07'GT and for being a ZR rated tire they weren't temprature sensitive like many other sticky tires.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:37 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Poco

The T/A KDWS tires you mentioned are a pretty good tire. I've run them in very severe wet weather conditions with my 07'GT and for being a ZR rated tire they weren't temprature sensitive like many other sticky tires.
I think Poco has a good idea there. You miight want to go to Tire Rack's Web site and look at their comparison tests of tires. They seem to match my experiences tire-for-tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp

My last tire selection was Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I was pleased that they stick well, give good feedback, brake and turn in predictably in the wet and dry, and was really surprised at how well they ride. I'm afraid to get a really good tire you have to pay, and they are expensive.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:44 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

ORIGINAL: Poco

I think Poco has a good idea there. You miight want to go to Tire Rack's Web site and look at their comparison tests of tires. They seem to match my experiences tire-for-tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testSearch.jsp

My last tire selection was Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I was pleased that they stick well, give good feedback, brake and turn in predictably in the wet and dry, and was really surprised at how well they ride. I'm afraid to get a really good tire you have to pay, and they are expensive.

You last sentence sums it up(no pun inteneded)If you have a $10 **** buy a $10 tire.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:58 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the Pirelli ZERO's areVERY sensitive to balance. Nitrogen does help them. Mine would shimmy until they warmed up. I agree, ZEROis the correct name for them.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I dunno boys...

While my P-Zero's aren't great tires, I don't think they're that bad either. They grip reasonably, and I haven't really had any serious traction problems with them when road conditions are decent. In fact, this is the second winter I've had my Pirelli's on, and they hold up okay in snowy and icy conditions, even.

They're no super-tire, but for $100 a pop, what do you want? I haven't had any real problems with them either.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
TJW
1st Gear Member

My zeros haven't been too bad but i have noticed they don't do well on water and the 'Stang rides like a stagecoach. I recently replaced the BFG T/A KDWS tires on my M3 with a set of Eagle F1 GS D3-best tires i've had in a long time, great improvement in wet/dry traction and better ride than the T/A or the stockers.

You might check them out.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klostermansa

All I know about tires are, I love the goodyear eagle z rated on my Crown Vic (55's)
and the BFG's on the 18" wheels on the GT I test drove felt pretty damn goodtoo....
Do you mean the Eagle F1 Gs-D3's? Those are awesome summer tires. There are stickier tires out there, the ones that autocrossers & track day folk use, but Eagle F1's & the Michelin Pilotsport are some top notch street tires. they trade ultimate grip for amazing rain traction and a slightly softer ride. Definitely not snow capable tires, but if you aren't driving in snow, then they are the way to go.

They are still capable at autocross, as I ran them a season or so (maybe 7-8 events), but just not what the pros are using.

I bought Kumho Ecsta SPT and they are a good summer tire. Not the best by far, but for the trade off in price I'm quite happy with them. The Kumhos were $100/piece at tirerack.com last summer.

Tom