Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

ROTORPROS ROTORS w/HAWK HPS FRONT & REAR PADS & A SET OF FRONT & REAR STEEL BRAIDED BRAKELINES

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:37 AM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Default ROTORPROS ROTORS w/HAWK HPS FRONT & REAR PADS & A SET OF FRONT & REAR STEEL BRAIDED BRAKELINES

My front brake pads need to replaced and I was looking into replacing the pads and lines for better performance and rotors for looks.

I saw this brake package on sale at rotorpros.com and listed on Ebay for $535 + S&H.

Is this a good upgrade for a Mustang GT with stock 17" wheels & tires?

If so, what pattern would one choose?

Drilled & Slotted?

Drilled Only?

Slotted Only?

Dimpled? What?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:11 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ROTORPROS ROTORS w/HAWK HPS FRONT & REAR PADS & A SET OF FRONT & REAR STEEL BRAIDED BRAKELINES

To help reduce some glazing or for auto cross use, people will likely recommend slotted with HPS pads, or equivalent.
To help reduce some fade, drilled with ceramic pads. Drilled are not recommended for track use though due to the likelyhood of stress fractures.
For looks, both.
I have the drilled rotors up front with Akebono ceramic pads, and my brakes no longer fade from high speed stops.

Go to http://www.brakedesigns.com/ They are the exact same rotors at a better price.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM
ufnavy06
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ROTORPROS ROTORS w/HAWK HPS FRONT & REAR PADS & A SET OF FRONT & REAR STEEL BRAIDED BRAKELINES

So could you use the combination for autocrossing? Or just stay away from drilled if you're into that at all?
Old 03-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the link drbobvs!

I'll also second drbobvs' recommendations. Be honest w/yourself about your intended use and go from there. Mike, I've tried the HPS pads and I wasn't impressed. They were an improvement over stock (you could feel the difference on the street), but not as much as I was hoping for at the track. My guess is that the HP+ are about right for a street/track pad, but they're more aggressive on the rotors than many folks like. I've recently become a huge Carbotech advocate. Give them a call and they'll set you up with great pads that are far less hostile on your rotors than the Hawk offerings. Very nice guys.

ufnavy06, I think drbobvs' caution against "track" use applied to open-track events (but I'd love to hear his thoughts). During autocross, the runs are fairly short and you don't really get things heated up the way you do when you're doing sustained open track runs for 20 minutes or so. I've done stock pads, HPS pads, and Hawk Blue pads on open track runs, and only the Blue were really able to keep up with the abuse. And yes, for that you want to stay away from the drilled rotors.

Best,
-j
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

To help reduce some glazing or for auto cross use, people will likely recommend slotted with HPS pads, or equivalent.
To help reduce some fade, drilled with ceramic pads. Drilled are not recommended for track use though due to the likelyhood of stress fractures.
For looks, both.
I have the drilled rotors up front with Akebono ceramic pads, and my brakes no longer fade from high speed stops.

Go to http://www.brakedesigns.com/ They are the exact same rotors at a better price.
Anyone have a picture of "double drilled"? It's listed on the brake designs site, but I don't know what it looks like...