Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

GT Convertible Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

Default GT Convertible Suspension Mods

I've read severalmagazine articles praising the convertible for having a better handlingbalance than the coupe. They talk about the convertible'sride being more compliant and the near elimination of rear axle hop while its handlingis close tothe coupe's in the twisties.

FRPP handling packs are for the coupe only. Is this for a reason? I am investigating suspension upgrades formy convertible but I don't want to lose its stock "goodness". Has anyoneupgraded their convertible's suspension? What did you do and has it noticeably improved handling without affecting the overall balance?

Thanks!

Martin
Old 02-29-2008, 04:05 PM
brdm266

Default RE: GT Convertible Suspension Mods

I have the FRPP kit installed on mine and I really like it. I was concerned about the coupe only installation so I called Ford Racing and they said the only difference is the converible will be a little bit (1/2-3/4") lower in the rear.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:33 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

The convertibles do have things in them that the coupes don't.. Some have K-member braces, and I think all have subframe connectors.. They needed to stiffen up the bottom of the car since there is no top of the car...
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Stock subframe connectors. I went with the Roush coil springs that have a 3/4" drop front and rear. The verts are heavier in the back than the coupes.

A mod I added that made a difference is the Edelbrock strut tower brace. My car was jostled quite a bit on bumpy roads and the brace made a noticable difference. Bought mine at autoanything.com.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:15 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brdm266

I have the FRPP kit installed on mine and I really like it. I was concerned about the coupe only installation so I called Ford Racing and they said the only difference is the converible will be a little bit (1/2-3/4") lower in the rear.
I imagine the handling is considerably crisper with the FRPP kit. How is the ride quality with it? Did the car remain as balanced? Any pictures of your car with the kit installed?

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Stock subframe connectors. I went with the Roush coil springs that have a 3/4" drop front and rear. The verts are heavier in the back than the coupes.

A mod I added that made a difference is the Edelbrock strut tower brace. My car was jostled quite a bit on bumpy roads and the brace made a noticable difference. Bought mine at autoanything.com.
I have been eyeing that Edelbrock strut brace. It seems to be the only three point brace out there for our cars and it's pretty inexpensive. Thanks for the tip Margarita Girl!

Martin
Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Your welcome. I don't see it in your sig, but the best mod for the money is a Cold Air Intake and SCT tune combo. I bought my Steeda combo from Brenspeed. Installed myself.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Mods in my sig. I may go back to the coupe rear swaybar I had on there. I think the Steeda just gives me more oversteer than I'm comfortable with.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Your welcome. I don't see it in your sig, but the best mod for the money is a Cold Air Intake and SCT tune combo. I bought my Steeda combo from Brenspeed. Installed myself.
A CAI and tune is going to be my first performance mod. I plan on most likely gettingthe Modular Depot ProFab CAI with their SCT tune.I plan toeventually take it toa localshop about an hour away that does custom dyno tuning.

Martin
Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Trust me, just order one from Brenspeed. He's SO good, that you'll only gain 1-2 horsepower by going to a dyno. People have tried. Ask around. By the time you pay for the dyno, any of the Brenspeed CAI kits will be cheaper.

You don't really need to worry about dyno tunes until you start getting into LOTS of bolt-ons, or FI..
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

i have the Steeda Sportline springs, Steeda F/R sways, BMR subframes - they needed custom install due to the stock bracing, and Steeda strut tower brace - car handles well IMO

Quick Reply: GT Convertible Suspension Mods