Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need expertise on scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default Need expertise on scratch removal

So last night, after getting my Rims installed ( yea this story blows ) I'm in the office paying, talking to the guys and everything, I went to remote start my car without even thinking about someone else being in my car. The mechanic left it in gear like anyone would, and the car jumped the curb and hit a chain link fence ( Dont flame my retardation of having remote start on a stick, I know it's stupid, but I like it ). There's some pretty bad gashes, like 3 or 4, but mostly just a bunch of light scratches and rub off. I was thinking about just wet sanding it and keeping it even if it has some nasty gashes, just for now until I decide to do a GT500 or cervinis front end. There is also a like 2"x2" dent right in the dead center of the nose where it comes to a point, but from what I've heard its impossible to get dents out of a bumper. Anyone got any ideas or experience on this?..
Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need expertise on scratch removal

Just realized this was in the wrong section, meant to put it in the appearance section... sorry haha
Old 03-07-2008, 08:10 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Take it to a body shop and get their opinion, because on the web here, without pics, its going to be damn near impossible to give you any advice, because if there are gashes, they will need to be either filled, or fixed.

This does not sound like a do-it-at-home job, unless your house or garage is fully equiped for body work.

Hate to say it, but some things gotta be left to the pros

Now you know not to use your remote start all the time haha
Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Hey xxDerek I know this is off subject but I have been debating about getting a remote starter along with anupgraded alarm system for my manual, I was just wondering what brand you have installed and if you didthe installyourself or had a shop do it. I didn't know if there was anything special that had to be done since it is a manual. Anyway sorry to hear about your car and I also agree with Shooter23, it sounds likea bodyshop job if you want it fixed correctly, imo.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:57 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

The brand I used was Crimestopper. I had a shop do it. Turned out, after they went in to do the wiring, you need a seperate module to enable the new alarm system to unlock and lock your doors and do your trunk, and then because our keys have chips in them, they have to put in another module and put your spare key in it. They only found this out after going in and realizing they couldn't splice into our wires because they're fiber optic, which is crazy to me haha... but he didn't charge me for the modules because he said he didn't even know, but they're like 80 bucks a piece. I paid $350 for the alarm with remote start, got a nice little discount on my insurance and peace of mind, plus I like my car warm when I get in it in the morning