Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

ONE OR THE OTHER

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

Default ONE OR THE OTHER

Like my subject says "One or the other" but not both at the same time.

Ok, heres the dilema..... I have my springs, shocks and struts and want to install them myself tomorrow. I know I need a front end alignment after doing the fronts but no shops will be open soooooooooooo I was planing on just doing the rears for now and driving for a week before getting to the front springs and struts. Will there be any issues with the car if I were to take this course of action?

Dont know if this matters or not but springs and shocks/struts are ford racing

Yes I could do the complete install but wouldnt be able to get the alignment done right away that is why I was thinking of just doing the rears for now.

So what do you think....

1. Just do the complete install and get the alignment within the next few days
2. Just do the rears for now and wait to install the fronts when you can get it aligned

Its killing me to just look at these parts every time I walk into my garage.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:54 PM
shooter23
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: ONE OR THE OTHER

Do the complete install...get the alignment as close as you can by eye and then drive it and get the alignment on Monday, or else just wait and do it all later!!

Personally I wouldnt go half and half...but then again, i would just wait and get everything done later when i know i could get an alignment right after

Old 03-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

You can run it with out the alignment. The worst you will do is scrub the front tires a bit if you put lots of miles on it.I believe your springs are same as Eibach-pro (~1.4" drop). I've see more than one post saying that the car was still within spec after that drop, without alignment.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:01 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

You will be ok to do the whole install just get the alignment some time soon, LIke everyone said the sooner the better. check out taco bills how to page. it will help, Good luck and start with the back it goes quicker. do you have the spring tool? auto parts store rent them. but I bought one (two came as a set to compress the srings) from NAPA for 35 bucks.

I had to run with just front lowered for a week and alignment checked fine
Old 03-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The biggest thing will probably be toe, which you can measure and adjust yourself if you set up a pair of parallel strings. Take your time setting them up about 2" outboard of the tires (on both sides of the car). Measure to at least 1/32" the distance between the string and the rim flanges, at the forward and rearward points. Essentially, you're measuring the angle that the wheel makes with straight ahead. If you're keeping the toe measurements in "inches", scale your measurements up by about 50%.

As an example for illustration only, let's say that on the right side you measure 2" exactly at the front and 1 15/16 at the rear. Your right side toe is about 3/32" (in). Let's say the left is 2" at the front and 2 1/32 at the rear. Left side toe is about 3/64" (out). Total toe would be 3/64" (in).

There are other DIY methods, but this is the easiest with cheapie equipment (string, 4 jackstands, a small scale good to 1/32" or preferably better). I still align my own cars for toe by this method right in my own driveway. I've got a couple of DIY alignment write-ups (Word files)that also address caster and camber, just not on this computer.

Norm