Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Splitter/Spoiler Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Splitter/Spoiler Recommendations

I am starting to investigate splitters/spoilers. The requirement is for something that will help keep the nose down on high speed tracks. It should also be able to handle the occasional knock without shattering.

Does a 1 inch lowered stock GT lift on the front at speeds over 100 MPH?

Does a splitter/spoiler help?

I see Steeda have three choices available at a range of prices and FRPP has one as part of a kit.

Comments and suggestions on what is currently available andworks best or provides the best performance/value will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 PM
GotMunchies?
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Splitter/Spoiler Recommendations

To be honest, I haven't felt any vagueness in the steering of my 'Stang at triple digit speeds. I've only been to about 120, but everything felt rock solid, so I haven't been too concerned about the car's body creating lift. That said, it's a heavy car.

As far as the aerodynamics of the Mustang are concerned, I'd wager the largest detriment is the gaping grill and hood. That huge grill means a TON if air gets into the engine bay resulting in a massive high pressure zone. You'll notice the racing Mustang's use a vented hood. This serves two purposes, it allows a greater flow of air through the engine bay resulting in cooler operating temps and gets that air flowing over the top of the car, resulting in downforce and less drag/lift. Also, chances are your hood will no longer try to open up at speed like the stock GT's. ****ing travesty that it is.

Another idea to look at is ducting for your front brakes. It will take some of that air from the front of the car and direct it right at those disks so you'll be able to control their temperatures better on the track - which is really really super important.

Search for a picture of a racing Mustang with a splitter and a spoiler
1) The front splitter is HUGE and needs to be very low to the ground to have any real benefit.
2) The spoiler is HUGE and needs to be very high in the air to create a usable amount of downforce at speeds under 150.

Aerodynamics are a tricky thing, I'd say start with a hood and some brake work (which both serve alternate functions), try out the car at a track day, and then take it from there.

Hopefully some of the racing Gurus (F1Fan, RodeoFlyer) will stop by and chime in with his two cents.

[IMG]local://upfiles/59992/DE9BD3F2CE1345E6BBA0DD809E558CB0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/59992/91D92262661F4E1BA085FF4593E649B7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

slippery slope.

99% of the "splitters", "wings", and "spoilers"on the market are strictly for show. They lack undertrays to make them work properly, and lack rigidity.

Tiger Racing hasa splitteravailable. Check out Chicane23.com for pics. It's not cheap - @ $950is what I was told by Paul Brown. Their G-Stream wing is also VERY effective, at a cost of @ $1500.

Munchies is right -avented hood helps quite a bit. The big open grill is the problem. The fox-bodied cars were done right , with a closed grill and air fed from the bottom. The problem still exists of getting that air out. Most of the wings out there are just like the splitters - bling factor only. Steeda's "street" wing is allowed in GAC. You don't see it used because the small amount of downforce created by it is DRAG - not downforce. I asked a racer sponsored by STEEDA about the wing and he chuckled and said "you mean my bling?"

Most people confuse SPOLIERS and WINGS. Wings create downforce by LIFT. Spoilers create downforce by DRAG. Both need to be in the airstream to be effective. A wing needs to be up in the airstream. A spoiler wont do muchunless you can break up the airflow and get it tumbling over it, which usually requires vortex generators of some type.

The ultimate reality is that (DON"T take this the wrong way) the fact that you are asking the question means you really don't need the stuff. There are WAY too many more important factors to consider .

I have 2 track cars. My S197 gets driven on the street on weekends and my Cobra will be in American Iron later this season. NEITHER has aero mods to speak of. I'm not about to spend $2500 and hours of tuning on either at this point. There is way more talent in the pack than I have so it's really a waste for me to blow that kind of cash and STILL be mid-pack. The GAC guys are all running without aero stuff. You can too.

Food for thought.

I've been over 150 in my S197. It's dangerous and foolish considering the car has no cage. At that speed if you so much as fart - you're dead.

The BEST mod is always the driver mod. Seat time. Seat time. Seat time. buy another set of $1k tires. Seat time. Seat time. buy another set of $165 brake pads and $40 rotors. Seat time. Seat time. Seat time.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The BEST mod is always the driver mod. Seat time. Seat time. Seat time. buy another set of $1k tires. Seat time. Seat time. buy another set of $165 brake pads and $40 rotors. Seat time. Seat time. Seat time.
You are absolutely correct my seat time in my new car on a track is nil. My only recent track time was a day a couple of years ago sharing my brothers 1967 911S and it got me hooked again. In fact you sound a lot my like my brother, he keeps saying 'seat time seat time seat time' as well. Even though he is a Porschephile he is going to be sharing my car for a while and trying to teach me how to go quickly.

He is the one whoasked me if I had thought about a splitter when were discussing how fast the car will be going when entering turn 8 at Mosport.