Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

wider tires speed you up or slow you down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Black Sunshine 07
2nd Gear Member

Default wider tires speed you up or slow you down?

i've decided to either go with 18x9's or 18x10's. my question for all you guys who have already done this is: i know you get more traction with a wider tire, but if i go with a wider tire/wheel will this speed me up or slow me down any? thanks guys

[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: wider tires speed you up or slow you down?

added weight slows you down.......
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
GRABBER GT
1st Gear Member

Qutie a difference between the way the car rides from 17s to just 18s. The car steered lighter and felt more powerful with the 17s.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

My experience is the change is negligible. My 'winter' tires are 235/55/17 on stock rims (not the bullits, not sure what the style is called). My 'summer' tires are 255/45/18 on 18x9 DD Bullits all around.

I have switched back and forth twice (had each set on twice)and can't say the car felt very different. I definitely would not say the car is less powerful with the bigger tires or they in anyway slow me down. Also Iam quite happy with the handlingboth ways, although the bigger tires have more of a tendancy to be tailhappy (but thats more a result of the tire, not the size). But this VERY much depends on the tire/rim combo you switch to. In my case, the bigger tires and rims only weigh about 2lbs more per corner. You can get 18" rims that are far lighter, so you could actually drop a few pounds by moving to a bigger tire/rim combo depending on what you buy.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My takeoffs are faster nor have I noticed any difference at speed. You'd think rolling resistance would increase but I haven't seen it in my fuel mileage.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Wider tires = more weight + more rolling resistance = slow you down.

But, if you're getting wider tires because of traction issues, I think that having better traction will be more beneficial.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Sunshine 07

but if i go with a wider tire/wheel will this speed me up or slow me down any? thanks guys
If the new wheel/tire package is heavier than the existing one, you'll slow down ever so slightly. Enough to be measured with timing equipment that's good to 0.001 second such as you might find at the dragstrip or at most autocrosses, sure (if you're that consistent anyway). But not enough to tell using just your butt-o-meter.

Some numbers to chew on using Argonaut's 2 lb/corner difference taken half as added wheel weight and half as added tire weight. These are the amounts of time quicker and shorter distance required for a 25 - 45 mph sprint in each gear (MT, no shifting). The distance numbers also represent the difference in a side-by-side race where the wheels/tires are different in weight but not diameter and everything else about the two cars and the driver capabilities/reaction timesis absolutely identical. I doubt that anybody is good enough to notice accelerations that differ by 1/5 of 1%. The differences in the distances, you'd notice, but only by comparison. You'd never see them if you first drove one car and then the other.

2nd gear 0.004 seconds 2.5"
3rd gear 0.008 seconds 5"
4th gear 0.012 seconds 7.5"
5th gear 0.020 seconds 12.5"

Norm
Old 03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

.................more rotating mass too. Takes more energy to turn that big sucka.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

I would agree that wider tires = more rotating mass, but the traction different between the two should make up for that. When I put on my Shelby rims, I didn’t notice a difference in weight. I sure there is but it can be more then a few pounds. The car grips much better now and I can’t wait to get it to the track.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

.................more rotating mass too. Takes more energy to turn that big sucka.
Got the rotating mass effects part of it entered right, but I didn't also add the 8 lbs to the total weight. The spreadsheet works well enough, but isn't 100% user-friendly quite yet (even for its developer. [sm=sigh.gif] )

Trying again,

2nd gear 0.008 seconds 5"
3rd gear 0.016 seconds 10"
4th gear 0.024 seconds 15"
5th gear 0.045 seconds 28"

Norm

Quick Reply: wider tires speed you up or slow you down?