Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hawks Hps or Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:05 PM
BigBore

Default Hawks Hps or Ceramic

While I'm waiting for the suspension mods for my '07 Gt convertible to get here, I'm thinking to upgrade the brakes. While I like the big brake kit for the look I don't feel the need for it.
I'm thinking of new pads (strictly street), Hawks Hps or Ceramic (has anybody tried these?).
Also, does anybody know if the Baer 14" rotor kit is any good (I mean lighter or same weight as stock, caliper support stiffness, etc)?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hawks Hps or Ceramic

Hawk HPS pads kick butt!
I have been running them and they stop much better than the OEM pads.
get some DOT4 fluid so you dont boil the brake fluid too. I use Castrol SRF but there are a few good one out there.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

+1, Hawk HPS are great street pads. Hawk HP Plus are a little better, they are a street/track pad but they will sqeal a lot.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Never tried ceramics, but I have the HPS pads on two of my cars. HPS is an entirely satisfactory pad for street and most auto-X use.

I don't think I'd use HP+ for anything other than lots of really fast auto-X or beginner HPDE/track day use (noise, dust, rotor wear, and cold performance can be "off" slightly). Advanced track day rating needs something better still.

Norm
Old 04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

If you want less dust go with the Ceramic.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

I'm real happy with the Hawk HPS pads. They'll dust up pretty good at the track but on the street, they are notbad at all. Especially when youconsider in how much better they stop the car. They are pretty easy on the rotors too. I'm amazed how much people spend adding horsepower but forget you have to stop the car too. The HPS pads offer an excellent bang for the buck IMHO.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I prefer HPS's.. it's what I run on my cars for street/autoxduty. We also have Ceramics, and though they aren't on the site (because it take a lot of time and I generally don't end up recommending them), we also have HP Pluses and all the track pads too.

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...mp;ModelID=5un
Old 04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
mustangbrakes

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

Never tried ceramics, but I have the HPS pads on two of my cars. HPS is an entirely satisfactory pad for street and most auto-X use.

I don't think I'd use HP+ for anything other than lots of really fast auto-X or beginner HPDE/track day use (noise, dust, rotor wear, and cold performance can be "off" slightly). Advanced track day rating needs something better still.

Norm

The HP+ has a significantly better initial bite and thus gives a better brake feel. Anyone who wants to get into HPDE or is a beginner on the track can use these on the street and track and not have to buy a seperate track pad.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

What about the noise on the HP+ on street use? I am not a heavy brake user on the street butbrake squeal does annoy me.

No intent tohijack the OP's thread but I was wondering what I should do about my new FRPP GT500 Brake kit upgrade kit which comes with new front and rear pads. Are these pads OK to start with HPDE events or should I just replace them right away with HPS or HP+ pads? The first track we hit, Dunnville,is hard on brakes especially with 400+ HP.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: mustangbrakes

The HP+ has a significantly better initial bite and thus gives a better brake feel. Anyone who wants to get into HPDE or is a beginner on the track can use these on the street and track and not have to buy a seperate track pad.
While I agree that HP Pluses have a lot more bite, and a ton of initial bite.... that's why I don't love them, and I don't agree that equals brake feel. On the contrary. Brake feel is how firm the pedal is and how well you can modulate the level of force. HP Pluses are much more on/off and not super linear in their reaction to increased pedal force.

And while some can and have gotten away with HP Pluses on a track, I'll never recommend them for that use. Way more often than not we just evaporate them in no time, and they don't tolerate repeated high temp use that well. Some tracks are easy on brakes, most aren't. And even if you are a first timer, it doesn't take that long to get up a speed that's beyond what HP Pluses can handle for say 30 minute sessions on any track that's not super easy on brakes. For instance, HP Pluses work fine @ Nelson Ledges in Ohio... which is a FAST track and 2 miles long. They don't last 5 laps @ BeaveRun PA, which is much slower and smaller @ 1.5 miles.

Quick Reply: Hawks Hps or Ceramic