Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hawks Hps or Ceramic

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Hawks Hps or Ceramic

Sam

So would recommend I replace my GT500 pads with HPS pads right from the start as my first track day is on a short track?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

As a parts salesman: Hell yes.

As a car guy who has to tell you the truth: No.

HPS's and HP Pluses are NOT track pads. You have some big brakes, and Brembo doesn't generally supply complete junk. While I can't say they'll hold up perfectly, I'm only telling you that changing to HPS's or even +'s for that purpose is pretty silly. If you are going to change pads we have other, better options. A few are even quite streetable. The perk of having Brembo's that other cars also use means great pad choices.

I'd recommend a set of Ferodo DS2500's for the front for your use. They aren't"cheap" @ $199 a set, but they flatdo the job. DS2500's don't tear anything up when cold, but will take a beating. They have a dead flat torque curve (.50)and will exceed 1000*F application temps (which is pretty high) with as much bite as they have @ say 200*F. I wish they made these for either my Mustang GT, or my Camaro but they don't.

Let me put it a different way.They feel like HPS's in terms of pedal modulation. They have power like HP Pluses, but it's all or nothing. And unlike the HP Pluses they don't fade.I even have a pic (but can'tpost it sinceI'm a computer moron)of a friend's STi running a track day on a set.... front and rear rotors a glowing, just like a "race" car. And he, as well as others, daily drive them. And I HATE race pads in their typical form to autox on, these work great for that too.

Another thing I just haven't been able to get up on my website, but I do carry the Ferodo's..
Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Sam

Yes they are expensive - oh well more to go on the credit card!

So what pads would I use on the rear if I got the Ferodo's on the front for the GT500 calipers?

PS - you've already made the sale and I'll contact you directly. The question above is to share with the forum readers.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Depends on the bias we're after..... Really with nose heavy, live axle cars I don't run anything special on the rear. The rears just aren't worked that hard. If you go DS2500 front, HPS's would be fine on the rear. You could do HP Plus there too, but again that's more grabby thenI prefer.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Kobie
2nd Gear Member

I have EBC Yellostuff pads now and have only the stock pads to compare them with. BIG difference for the better, but maybe there is a better pad when these wear out. They don't make noise, but they do put off a lot of brake dust. The car is a daily driver that is used once a month for open track days and I'll probably race solo2 autocross next season as well. There is usually always something better to use "next time".
Old 04-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Id like to jump in here since this has brought up a question for me.
Last years track event it was a pretty hot day. I had the HPS on all 4 corners, ATE brake fluid, SS lines. After a few good hard laps (3.5 miles 21 turns) I did have some brake fade. This wasnt on every session, but on 2 of them.
Now the front pads are wore out and I need a new front set for this years event and was thinking of taking it a step up to the HP+.
Is this a good idea or should I stick with the HPS? This year the only difference is the car has more suspension mods so I plan on being a little faster, and have slotted/drilled rotors, which was done for cosemtic reasons only.
I do not plan on running either pad for daily driving, as I hate the dust/noise, and happy with stock pads for daily driving.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Stoenr

Have you thought about getting a brake cooling kit?

I've ordered the kit and inlet adapters from Quantum Motorsports - mainly because I am concerend about keepping the brakes cool on short tracks.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I have. Just another mod that has to wait for a bit, just spent more than I intended to in the last few months.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

I have. Just another mod that has to wait for a bit, just spent more than I intended to in the last few months.
Tell me about it!

In my case I figure I'll just enjoy the car while paying down the credt card bill
Old 04-03-2008, 02:43 PM
BigBore

So nobody tried the Performance Ceramic yet?