Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCAs vs. tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:36 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

Default LCAs vs. tires

Well last Wednesday i ran my 5 first ever passes on the 1/4 mile track and my best time was 13.415 @ 106.662MPH with a 2.232 60'. Although it may be due to lack of experience, it seemed that my tires were spinning a whole bunch in 1st and even a decent amount in 2nd gear. So i figured that for my next mod i should invest in either some new tires or LCAs. So, which would you guys recommend? Or should i get both? Cuz after i get the tires to hook up i want to save up for a Zex 125 shot
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LCAs vs. tires

Would definitely suggest some Adj. LCA's ( if you plan on lowering ) and a set of DR's if you plan on getting traction at the track. If you want overall traction with some street tires, I love my KDW2's.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

So is it necessary for me to get LCAs AND drag radials? or should i be fine with just one? which should i get first?
And I don't have any plans for lowering my car since my headers and x-pipe hang down lower than the stock exhaust and im having a little trouble with ground clearance. So since i'm not lowering my car then shouldn't i be fine with non-adjustable LCAs?
Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Yes, non-adjustable LCA's will be fine unless youare going to go with a 1 piece DS in the future. You'll want to adjust your pinion angle. If you want good traction, I'd go with LCA's and relocation brackets and drag radials. You'll be able to launch at 5k rpms with that setup.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

With my 20s my best was a 13.9

2 weeks later on 17" with drag radials i did a 13.2, still room for improvement in that time, ive only been to the track twice
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

k sounds good i'll get everything i guess, and i probably will get a 1-piece driveshaft further down the road so i guess adj. LCAs wont hurt.

now the question is, which LCAs should i get? because theres a lot to choose from. Same question with the tires
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
docwine
1st Gear Member

I am running the UMI single adj LCA's from Strano. great prices / great products that really helped my car's 1/4 mile and eliminated wheel hop totally.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...&ModelID=5

They have spherical / poly bushings and the poly end is greasable. There is a little more road noise and a slightly stiffer ride, but I also dida non adj UCA at the same time.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:08 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I have BMR LCA's and relocation brackets and I'm very happy with them. As for drag radials you can't go wrong with Mickey's or M&H's. I ran the Mickey's last year and I'm running M&H's this year.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 PM
JibStyle
1st Gear Member

Hmm i dont know a whole lot about tires and tire dimensions. What size DRs should be able to fit on my stock 17" rims and be decent for daily driving?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

DR's and "decent for daily driving" don't really belong in the same sentence, as DR's are built specifically for drag racing. Daily driving has much different requirements (I know it rains in CA, and sometimes heavily, and normal roads have curves and corners that you drive at speeds somewhat higher than you'd take the U-turn onto the return road at).

It's wasteful of the DR's performance, too. If you daily-drive your DR's you'll heat-cycle all the best grip out of them while cruising around at 35 - 65 mph, and this will happen long before you're into the wear bars. Your opponents would owe you a thank-you for giving them this advantage free of charge (to them, anyway).

Norm

Quick Reply: LCAs vs. tires