Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Anyone with Billstein shocks and stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone with Billstein shocks and stock springs?

ORIGINAL: Sam Strano

Bilstein does not make a Sport version damper for this car, but for most other Sports/GT cars they either make both an HD and Sport, or just a Sport valving. That doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies, especially after having dealt with the exact same issue for years on F-bodies. They'd say HD's are fine, but for years their own catalog stated on the top of page 1, that "Heavy Duty shocks are not suitable for lowered cars". That disclaimer is now gone, but doesn't change the fact for a number of other Sports/GT cars (including some cars of dubious lineage and as diverse as PT Cruisers and Mercedes E-class sedans) get the option of Sport dampers where the S197 and some other Mustangs don't.

I also tend to disagree with the commonly held ideathat adjustable shocks are useful only for someone tracking or autoxing a car. The car always has mass, and has not any idea of where it's being driven. It doesn't get lightersomehow on the street. Shocks are dampers, they damp movement. You get movement on the road as well as on a track. Certainly folks who don't care a lick about performance might not see a benefit to adjustable damping, but then again those folks don't tend to hang out in places like this. I beleive that when practical flexibility is a good thing to have. Adjustable damping offersa lot of flexibility for a person to find what he/she likes best be that on a hardcore track car, or on a driver that is used more sportingly than your average rental car. YMMV.

I will not deny that Bilstein's are high quality dampers. I won't deny a car can be fast on them in a track situation. I just feel the money could be spent on dampers that don't pigeon hole the owner's options for tuning. It's simply a value vs. performance debate to me here and in my opinion, no single thing has more effect on more aspects of a car's all arounddriveability than good, suitable damping.
I completely agree. My #1 choice for the street is the Koni's, but then they have their limits and so do the D-specs. That's why I have my polished stainless KW Suspension things of beauty under my car now.

I still think the Bilsteins ar e great for people that want no fuss, no adjusting, etc. Adjustable dampers in the hands of someone that doesn't know what they are doing can make a car worse than it was without them in some cases.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: STi Rob

Hopefuly the shocks and struts alone will suit my needs. I realy wish there was a performance spring that didnt lower the car or stayed very close to stock height (within a 1/2 inch). Ive driven a new Bullitt and the suspenion was a noticeable improvement over the stock GT. I guess I could wait until the Bullitt springs are available before having shocks and struts installed, I dont want to have to pay for the samelabor twice.

Rob

FWIW the Bullitt springs really aren't that special. I promise what you felt was the better shocks (not they are great, but improved over stock) and the 1mm bigger front bar.

Don't blame you on not wanting to pay labor twice. Then again, you'll neverknow just what shocks did vs. what springs did for you.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

I completely agree. My #1 choice for the street is the Koni's, but then they have their limits and so do the D-specs. That's why I have my polished stainless KW Suspension things of beauty under my car now.

I still think the Bilsteins ar e great for people that want no fuss, no adjusting, etc. Adjustable dampers in the hands of someone that doesn't know what they are doing can make a car worse than it was without them in some cases.
Ah yes... Adjustables in the hands of those that might not know better. That's easily fixed though with a little education. And that's something that I extend to every customer, a primer on damping adjustments, how it works, and when you might want to go up or down. It's not really that hard onceone has even a rough understanding.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

My question is how much of a difference will the Billstein shocks make when used with the stock springs. Im looking to improve the feel and handling perfromance of the car but I realy dont wantto lower it due to it being my daily driver. Any input or personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Rob
Hi Rob,

I can't recommend these if you have any possibility of changing your springs or bars for something with sporty intentions and I doubt you can know absolutely that they will work perfectly out of the box for you. This is the beauty of having an adjustable damper system. Rodeo Flyer and I went around on this one many moons ago and he outgrew the Billie HD'spretty quickly once he was on the track. Please listen to Sam and I when we tell you that for the money the Koni sport or Tokico D-Specs are a much better long term choice.

You never know what you might do or want to do with the car in a day ot a year from now. If two years ago you had told me I would become a big fan of playing paintball at 53 years old I would have laughed my butt off.

HTH!

Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 PM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

My question is how much of a difference will the Billstein shocks make when used with the stock springs. Im looking to improve the feel and handling perfromance of the car but I realy dont wantto lower it due to it being my daily driver. Any input or personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thx,
Rob
Hi Rob,

I can't recommend these if you have any possibility of changing your springs or bars for something with sporty intentions and I doubt you can know absolutely that they will work perfectly out of the box for you. This is the beauty of having an adjustable damper system. Rodeo Flyer and I went around on this one many moons ago and he outgrew the Billie HD'spretty quickly once he was on the track. Please listen to Sam and I when we tell you that for the money the Koni sport or Tokico D-Specs are a much better long term choice.

You never know what you might do or want to do with the car in a day ot a year from now. If two years ago you had told me I would become a big fan of playing paintball at 53 years old I would have laughed my butt off.

HTH!

Well I have to admit there is always a chance I will want to be more aggressive with my suspension setup in the future. Going with an adjustable shock and strut is probably going to be more economical in the long run. Now which ones do I go with, Koni or Tokico?

Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
STi Rob
1st Gear Member

[/quote]

I was kinda hoping for just that, a setup with no fuss or adjusting but Im beginning to think the slight inconvenience in the beginning will be outweighed by the long term benefits of an adjustable setup.

Do you daily drive your car with the KW suspension or is it a weekend/track car only? KW was one of my first choices for my STi but at the time KWv3 cilovers were on backorder for my car.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Right now she's at KW's headquarters in Fresno, Ca. for engineering .The car is in pieces and being digitized for engineering of some innovative new stuff (for the Mustang anyway). I'll keep everybody posted.

My S197 is still very much a street car, but I don't drive it much other than at the track. I go to cruises here and there, date night with the girlfriend, etc.

The beauty with coilovers is the abundance of spring rates and the fact that they are fairly inexpensive. We're goingpretty agressive with the setup for the track, but for the street a simple spring change and damper adjustment will be all it needs.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:10 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Here's a couple pics from Fontana - 3387lbs.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41141/A3D9A3AA38D944E99E10F531F37EA372.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I hate computers.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41141/83EAD977B0A54B9E8CE279EA64D8E53F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41141/101611FA9106412EBED5723C7E1726AD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

the billsteins have been good to me I drive it everyday. Great for hard lanches comfortable on the freeway and maybe they will last longer than those d-specs...

P.S. lifetime warrentyyyyyyyyyyyyyh

Quick Reply: Anyone with Billstein shocks and stock springs?