Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view

As you know, I sell both Koni and Tokico (as well as other dampers). As you know, I tend to prefer the Koni's over D-specs, but also think that D-specs are pretty good bang for the buck which is why I do sell them, and at times recommend them depending on the situation.

I got this note from a customer today who had D-specs previously and now Koni's. He's using Steeda springs and did with the D-specs, and he had FRPP Eibach springs prior to those (run with the FRPP dampers and D-specs). He's not affiliated with me or any other company other than having bought his Koni's from me (and only the Koni's, he had all the other stuff before he found me). Here are his thoughts:

Sam,

My local Ford dealer installed the Koni's last Tuesday. They have a technician there who is very meticulous. He said that he set them at your recommended settings. I have driven the car about 45 miles since the Koni's were installed.
Sam, to me they make a very noticeable difference over the D Specs. The roads I have driven on would have really upset the car in the past. It feels more planted with the Koni's but at the same time they have a very nice feeling of compliance that I cannot put into words.
Its like I can feel a quality difference is about the only way I can describe it.
My cornering feels better also. I have not driven far on an interstate yet but the short drive I made felt very good.
I appreciate all your help and the time you took over the phone.
So right now my set up is, Steeda Ultra light springs, Koni Sport Shocks/Struts, Steeda HD strut mounts, Steeda Adj. rear panhard bar & HD brace, Steeda G trac brace, factory 18" Bullitts with BFG 255/45/18 KDW NTs. 3.55s.
Is there anything else you can recommend? with my goal of increased handling while still maintaining a good ride.

THANKS AGAIN!

P.S. And I know what you mean about the koni's providing a "BMW" ride, the Konis jut feel like quality and thats not my trying to justify the cost. Take Care!"

.... he is a member on this forum, but prefers to lurk vs. get into discussions. As such I removed his name for his privacy, but he did give me permission to have folks contact him privately if he thought it would help though I'm not inclined to do so. I feel that he's willing to do such a thing speaks volumes about how pleased he is with the parts and the service, and I truly appreciate that.

And an interesting note about how I work. He had the Steeda springs in place, has asked about changing springs to what I tend to use first. But I said no, because in the end I knew he's find a difference with the dampers, and didn't want to make two big changes at once. So while I could have sold more, that's not how I operate. If I felt the springs were a mess, I'd have changed him. I did not, so I gave up a bigger sale for a happy customer.

I know this is a little horn-tooting, but I wanted folks to know this is why I don't throw the baby out with the bath-water. And, more importantly I felt it was an unbiased opinion on what are two of the best all around damper options out there for these cars. take it fwiw.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Tjeppelin
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view

are the konis adjustable too?
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Sam, why is it that you're always tooting your own horn, then defending yourself (or vice-verse)?
I don't understand the purpose of this post except to promote yourself and a product you sell. Would you explain why the Konis are better, or was it just that your customer thought they felt better? Is he an experienced driver that can objectively critique a damper? The differencecould be a simple difference in damping, and have nothing to do with the "quality" of the damper. Of course I'm not comparing the Konis to the Tok's...just don't see the purpose of the post, so I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Tjeppelin,
Yes, the Konis are adjustable, on the rebound damping only. The Tok's are single dajustable, but change both the rebound and compression damping together. Changing the relationship between the rebound and compression damping (assuming the compression is OK where it is) actually makes the Koni more "adjustable".
Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

since sam is off line and won't be responding soon i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. feel free to ignore my opinion.

i think the purpose of the post is exactly as you suggest: to promote himself and his product. having said that i don't think there is anything wrong with that. he is a site sponsor after all... he's paid some kind of fee, i presume, to be able to do just that. he even admits he is tooting his own horn.

as far as explaining why the konis are superior, i believe that's been done ad nauseum.

sure, he's opinionated, but i love a good discussion and i have enjoyed reading hisresponses and i feel i've gained knowledge from them.

(and i've never bought anything from him.)

ORIGINAL: steelcomp

Sam, why is it that you're always tooting your own horn, then defending yourself (or vice-verse)?
I don't understand the purpose of this post except to promote yourself and a product you sell. Would you explain why the Konis are better, or was it just that your customer thought they felt better? Is he an experienced driver that can objectively critique a damper? The differencecould be a simple difference in damping, and have nothing to do with the "quality" of the damper. Of course I'm not comparing the Konis to the Tok's...just don't see the purpose of the post, so I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sam,
Thanks for the post. I'm always looking for info and user opinions.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:53 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Fair enough.
ORIGINAL: timothyrw

since sam is off line and won't be responding soon i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in. feel free to ignore my opinion.

i think the purpose of the post is exactly as you suggest: to promote himself and his product. having said that i don't think there is anything wrong with that. he is a site sponsor after all... he's paid some kind of fee, i presume, to be able to do just that. he even admits he is tooting his own horn.

as far as explaining why the konis are superior, i believe that's been done ad nauseum.

sure, he's opinionated, but i love a good discussion and i have enjoyed reading hisresponses and i feel i've gained knowledge from them.

(and i've never bought anything from him.)

ORIGINAL: steelcomp

Old 04-19-2008, 03:09 PM
SVThis

I'm sure the reason Sam is on here is to sell stuff. That's his business. He is however a sponsor and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm alwaysa little leary when someone tries to do that.With that being said, what ever advice Sam gives, you can take it to the bank.

What everhe sells you will work and work well. I'm in no way affiliated with Sam and in fact was a competitor of his when I worked at the Tire Rack for 20 years. I have bought products from him for my Camaro in the past and will continue to do so if I buy a Mustang.

Iautocross my current car in Street Mod, although it is very close to being an ESP car. I can't count the number of times ofpeople coming up to me commentingabout being blown awayby the capabilities of the car.I can thank Sam for that.

Here's a picture of the Mulletmobile at the Tire Rack test track. This was before going to 17x11's and 315/35/17's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2..._100904_26.jpg
By the way, the car's running Koni yellows.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:37 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

Sam,

I always appreciate reading your input to the threads and know you have considerable knowledge of suspension handling. I have no problem giving you a call when it's time to upgrade my suspension. Just give me the best price available!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Tjeppelin
1st Gear Member

cool thanks

Quick Reply: Koni vs. D-specs.. a customer's view