Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Oil Starvation From High Cornering G Forces

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Oil Starvation From High Cornering G Forces

While we were doing the install of the suspension upgrades one of the fellows asked if I was concerned about oil starvation fromthe high G forces the car would now be capable of reaching during cornering.

I've done a search of the forums and can't find anything related to this so was wondering if this is a problem.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:34 PM
v8pilot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil Starvation From High Cornering G Forces

Hmm good question but i dont think it should cause a problem unless your running at a race track
Old 05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

I've heard pros and cons about the stock oil pan and it's performance. Bottom line is, there's room for improvement. There are a few pans out there for the 4.6, but they're pretty much "generic" performance pans, if you will, with a little more capacity and some improved baffling, etc. Right now I'm in the process of developing a pan specifically designed for the S197 that will incorporate as much of the best wet sump tech. that can be used within the confines of the stock chassis. The fact that the engine is a Y block design limits things a little, as well, but the pan will have the right baffling, trap doors, and sump design (windage protection) to maintain good oil pressure and also free up some HP. I should have the prototype ready in a couple weeks for some testing, and if all's well, it should be available soon after that.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

You might want to try posting your question on www.corner-carvers.com - if anyone knows those guys do.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:25 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Yes, that's definatly a problem. Stock pans are just that, a pan. They don't do much of anything to retain oil around the pick up.

Although not a mod motor, I use a fully baffled pan and an Accusump.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:14 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

no problems here after 2 years of tracking with 2 drivers.

an accusump isn't a bad idea since it can be removed in a hurry. a big Canton oil pan isn't what you want a dealer tech staring at when you hurt the motor and take it in for warranty work.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:21 AM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: .boB

Yes, that's definatly a problem. Stock pans are just that, a pan. They don't do much of anything to retain oil around the pick up.

Although not a mod motor, I use a fully baffled pan and an Accusump.
Not true--the stock pan does have baffling around the pickup. 2 years on the track with mine and no problems. My oil pressure gauge is right in my face and I've never seen it drop during cornering.

[IMG]local://upfiles/96090/C90B8A8598864FD2B75B00B68153B5D1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2008, 05:09 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Slaya -

have you installed an oil temp gauge yet? I can't remember if it is you or SoundGuyDave that put a cooler in.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:44 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

oh nice testing
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: steelcomp

Right now I'm in the process of developing a pan specifically designed for the S197 that will incorporate as much of the best wet sump tech. that can be used within the confines of the stock chassis. The fact that the engine is a Y block design limits things a little, as well, but the pan will have the right baffling, trap doors, and sump design (windage protection) to maintain good oil pressure and also free up some HP. I should have the prototype ready in a couple weeks for some testing, and if all's well, it should be available soon after that.
At some point the problem isn't the pan or its baffling but getting the oil to drain back down into it in the first place. At a little under 1.0 lateral g sustained, most of the oil up top will tend to pile up on the outboard side of the engine where it will have little incentive to return to the sump until you get into corner exit (and the resultant "g" loading is directed more downward). Is there a pan capacity increase part of this or is an Accusump going to be part of it?

On the last V8 I built I paid a good bit of attention to removing casting flash, deburring, and radiusing every oil drainback hole I could find in the block and heads.

Norm

Quick Reply: Oil Starvation From High Cornering G Forces