Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

squeak squeak squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: squeak squeak squeak

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

............mani-peti [sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Hey RF,

It's "mani-pedi" andhow come you know what a mani-pediis?

Cheers!
Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Yes, just like painting my nails. Two coats of red.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Is it OPI Revved Up& Red-y or You Make Me Vroom? 8^)
Old 07-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

I did my install this past weekend, struts/shocks/springs/strut mounts. I didn't use lube on any of the spring seats ior tokico insulators and there are no squeaks.

Most of the noise complaints seem to be from people who had their parts installed at a shop and I'm guessing it's because they don't bother measuring torque on anything. A lot of the torque specifications are super tight. The 148 lbs-ft on the strut to spindle bolts took a lot of effort even with a long handled torque wrench.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Is it OPI Revved Up& Red-y or You Make Me Vroom? 8^)

Your girlfriend/wife must be very proud of you. Do you take her shopping at Sephora?

Think I can get a bottle of Dupli-color red nail polish to match the car? [8D]
Old 07-03-2008, 05:15 PM
crazystylin
2nd Gear Member

I installed my rear suspension (see sig)myself to torq spec.

I have very annoying squeaks from rear driver & passenger sides during light cruising speeds. It sounds as if it would be the shocks because the squeaks chime in unison with the car's bounce.

I got a grease gun loaded and was going to hit the nipples on all the suspension parts, and by hand, lube any bushings' exteriors.

Any otheradvice while I am going down on her?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Make sure that anywhere that the poly bushings contact something else that they are coatedwith the grease supplied by Steeda. This includes the ends of the bushings.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

If you shave the ends of poly bushings down just a little, until they are the same length as the sleeves that run through them or just a hair shorter, they"re apt to be quieter. Belt sander or bench grinder kind of work. Lathe would be better, but most here probably don"t have access to one. I don"t.

The rubbing between the poly and the bracket "sides" that comes from the poly being compressed from the bolt tension is one cause of the noise, maybe the biggest source. It"s a poly stick-slip thing that grease will only fix temporarily. By "shorter", if you place the sleeve in its bushing, set the assembly down on a flat surface and bottom the sleeve against that surface - if you can feel the sleeve sticking up above the other end of the poly that"s enough. Think maybe 1/64". Put some grease inside the sleeve to protect the bolt a little better against corrosion and re-assemble. That"s the simple version.

Norm
Old 07-19-2008, 07:07 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

So I now know where the squeak/creaking is coming from!!! It only took 1 hour to figure it out when I took it up to my buddy's and through it up on the lift. Now that the hard part is out of the way I need to come up with a solution.

So the noise is coming from the bushings on my BMR rear sway bar. Most noticibly from the axle bushings (not suprising since they see the most movement in normal travel), but also some noise from the endlinks at the swaybar. We took it all apart, cleaned the bushings, re-lubed, and re-installed everything. That helped, but did NOT eliminate the noise. Actually it only helped slightly. So now I need to figure out what to do and how to fix it all.

I am going to write up an e-mail and shoot it out to BMR this weekend seeking guidance and advice. I would be in love with my suspension if only I could get it to stop sounding like a Jalopy!!!

Does anyone have and advice/solutions they would be willing to share now that I know the source??? I'm open to most sugguestions right now.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:51 PM
kinglasher
2nd Gear Member

You could just PM them on here. they'll getback to you. Worked for me.

Quick Reply: squeak squeak squeak