Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Adjustable shocks and struts with stock springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:46 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default Adjustable shocks and struts with stock springs?

I know I'm in the minority, but I really don't mind the stock springs. I especially enjoy the stock ride height and the ground clearance that comes with it. That said, I wouldn't mind a slightly firmer ride and better handling.

As far as I know, there are is no such thing as stiffer springs that maintain stock ride height. Perhaps such as thing isn't necessary? Maybe there is no demand for it?

Anyway, I thought about ordering some adjustable shocks and struts and simply dialing them in for the stock springs. Is this a bad idea? Or a waste of money? Maybe it would be a good idea to focus on other suspension components?

I'm concerned that once I get the adjustable struts and shocks I will find the ideal settings might be close to the factory setup. That would clearly be a waste.

Are the factory shocks and struts tuned more for comfort and not for performance? Or did the factory get it right? Are my stock shocks and struts already ideally tuned for my factory springs?

As far as other suspension mods, I already have lower control arms and will be adding a rear sway bar with billet endlinks next weekend.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:40 PM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Adjustable shocks and struts with stock springs?

Hello,if you are happy with the ride height an quality of your factory springs putting a good set of struts and shocks on will help. My suggesting is Tokico D specs, they are adjustable and are a very good handling shock.Here is a link to our site, if you have any questions please give me a call. Our tech/sales dept is open MON-FRI 8:30am-6:00PM EST

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangSUSPENSION.htm
Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Well... I will start it and I hope this doesn't start another "Koni vs Tokico" debate but I would suggest Koni's.

I have not driven on both but a few guys here have. Sam Strano might be your best person to contact, he has raced and won in solo on both Tokico's and Koni's but prefers Koni's for the quality of the item. That is not to say the Tokico's are not a quality item. He does sell both, call him and get his opinions compared to what you are trying to accomplish suspension wise.

I have Koni's in my car, btw.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I, too, wish to keep my stock springs and am only considering replacing the stock shocks/struts and am glad to see that you've asked this question.

I think my Stang handles rather well for stock and I drive mine mainly all highway but still prefer a bit less lean in the curves. I KNOW that new aftermarket shocks/struts alone can greatly improve handling. My SUV has Bilstein's (which changed the handling from night to day) and I can honestly say that, if I had to run on winding roads from my own SUV, I'd be a bit worried! LOL!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:50 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

You guys read my mind! I deliberately left out the Tokico vs. Koni debate, because I knew each had their fans. It sounds like there are plenty of gains to be had with adjustable shocks and struts. I think I'll start saving for this project.

I'm not sure what happened, but all of the sudden the price on the D-specs has dropped tremendously, it's really tempting.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:17 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Bilstines would be another option for upgrading your stock suspension. They're not adjustable, but I think would be an excellent improvement, and they're very resonably priced.IMO, adjustability on something you're just going to set and forget is mostly a waste. My guess is you can find something valved like you want, and not worry about adjustments. The Ford performancedampers are fairly stiff, and a good choice as well, if that's what you're looing for. The stock dampers are valved to give a firm ride and firm on compression, but performance wise, they're soft on rebound.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think I'm the one to help you, and bluntly put-here's why.

-I am a site sponsor.
-I have dyno curves on both the Koni and D-spec.
-I sell both Koni and D-spec (I don't care which I sell you, just want you on the best option).
-I have used both in daily driving.
-I have used both in autox.
-Ihave usedboth with lowering springs.
-I have used both with stock springs.

I don't have all the answers to everything in life. What I do have is knowledge about these cars, and a track record to back it up.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I can't recommend Bilstein here... They are very good quality shocks. But why not have the ability to tune the car (for either ride or handling) when we are talking the same kind of money? I also sell Bilstein too so it's not like I'm saying that because they aren't an option I can offer. I'm saying it because I think they arenot the smartestmoney.

The Ford Racing dampers were gone in short order from our Shelby GT. Done mostly for the ability to tune the handling. But it also rides significanly better than it did on the FR3 dampers. And that's on D-specs and Koni's both.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:06 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sam Strano

-I have dyno curves on both the Koni and D-spec.
-I sell both Koni and D-spec (I don't care which I sell you, just want you on the best option).

What did better the koni or D-spec?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ relative question.

It depends on what kind of driving you do. Look back through some posts and Sam did some 'splaining on this very subject and had a curve graph. It all comes down to your specific wants/needs while driving. Some, may not notice any difference at all.

Jazzer

Quick Reply: Adjustable shocks and struts with stock springs?