Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCAs Clunking???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
BMRFabricationTech
Former Sponsor

Default RE: LCAs Clunking???

One scenario that we have came acrossis the factory lower control arm bolt was bottoming out before exerting proper crush on the lower control arm inner sleeve. So while the bolt was being torqued to the proper spec it was allowing the sleeve to move creating the noise. The solution was to install a few washers on the bolt prior to installation. By installing the washers on the bolt it the nut would not bottom out on the threads allowing proper tightening.

Lee S.
(813)986-9302
tech@bmrfabrication.com
Old 07-01-2008, 07:30 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

My BMR billet LCAs clunk as well. It is almost a relief to see how many people have the same problem. I supposed I'll have to buy some larger washers and new bolts, and reinstall my LCAs. Is there a magic number as far as filling the gap(s), should I find any?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Vertigo
3rd Gear Member

Just make sure they are TIGHT. Anything loose when you are under load they will shift a bit.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vertigo

Just make sure they are TIGHT. Anything loose when you are under load they will shift a bit.
I was getting a ring and pinion install today and the guys at excessive said I should probably just take them off and grease the outside of the bushings, wherever bushing could possibly touch metal, there should be grease. My LCAs came pre-assembled with grease already in them. When I hit 500 miles I added more and it just overflowed the grease fitting, so I was right in not adding more the day of the install.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:08 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

ive just accepted the noises they make, i grease them every oil change and check that thebushings are in good shape. maybe ill put washers in down the line, but i'm kind of lazy right now and have almost no tools right now.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BMRFabricationTech

One scenario that we have came acrossis the factory lower control arm bolt was bottoming out before exerting proper crush on the lower control arm inner sleeve. So while the bolt was being torqued to the proper spec it was allowing the sleeve to move creating the noise. The solution was to install a few washers on the bolt prior to installation. By installing the washers on the bolt it the nut would not bottom out on the threads allowing proper tightening.

Lee S.
(813)986-9302
tech@bmrfabrication.com
Hey Lee,

Is this possible even if the LCA seems totally solid when I try and move it around by hand?
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VistaGT

Lee S.
(813)986-9302
tech@bmrfabrication.com
Hey Lee,

Is this possible even if the LCA seems totally solid when I try and move it around by hand?
I can answer that one. The pressure exerted on them by the weight of your car shifting is 10 times or more than that exerted by your arm. If they don't move at all when you jack a corner of your car up by your LCA, the things are dead solid.

I think the whole point is that they are supposed to move a little though.. I'd appreciate if someone more knowledgeable would comment on that one, though.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Anyone get any further with figuring this out?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joshetc

I think the whole point is that they are supposed to move a little though..
I doubt it.

Clunking represents impact loading and implies that there is some rubbing wear going on between the sleeves and the brackets and/or between the bolts and the brackets in order for the motion to occur that causes the "clunk". None of these things are good.

Suspension accuracy depends on all of the pivot points remaining in one place rather than floating around. That´s part of the reason for replacing the OE rubber LCA/UCA bushings in the first place (the OE bushing compliance amounts to the same thing as moving pivot points, but in this situation is at least controlled enough by the bushing stiffness to return to the same position when the load "squishing" it goes away). A little clearance is generally necessary just to be able to install a bolt through the three holes that may not be perfectly lined up due to production tolerances and what-not. Whatever the bolt torque is, it has been found to be sufficient to keep the inner sleeves from wandering, at least under whatever design load Ford was considering.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-05-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

One scenario that we have came acrossis the factory lower control arm bolt was bottoming out before exerting proper crush on the lower control arm inner sleeve.
So is this the forward bolt, or the rear that you are talking about? Because if (like me) you installed the LCA relocation brackets then you would be using the supplied bolts from you guys on the rear.

As for the 125 ft/lbs of torque on the Panhard Rod, was that on the bolts or the lock-nuts for the adjustment?

And one last one...the 9/16 v 14 mm that BMR uses is this for the spherical bearings or does this apply to the poly bushings as well?

Quick Reply: LCAs Clunking???