Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Staggered wheels handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Default RE: Staggered wheels handling

ORIGINAL: Norm Peterson

ORIGINAL: Jazzer The Cat

Nope, just need to have less neg. camber and be easier in the twisties (like that is gonna happen [8D]) The inside wears b/c of very aggressive camber I had and the outside was worn due to HWY 1 twisties.

I will get my car back in the next day or so with the full SLA upgrade from Griggs Racing so I will no longer have either issue in which to deal [sm=Awwww.gif]. I should have very even wear along the surface of the 295/30 R888'srunning up front.

VERY EXCITED to get The VIXN back on the road with new Summer tires/wheels this week. Jonsin' in a MAJOR way

Jazzer
Just how aggressive is that camber? And if it really is that much, why would there be rapid outside shoulder wear?

I"m thinking more along the lines of toe (-out)+ bumpsteer effects + hard braking is what"s killing the insides. And low pressure with relatively narrow wheels for the tire size is hurting the outers by letting you roll over onto them.

Even with the SLA upgrade, you"ll still want to tinker with the tire pressures to put the handling where you want it. Make that because of that SLA upgrade that you"ll have to. Look for little triangles molded into the shoulders of your tires - they"ll bedown in the tread voids - and set your pressures so the scuffing under hard cornering goes into, but not past,them. If it seems to take unreasonable inflation pressures to make this happen, the wheels are probably just too narrow for the combination of that particular tire model and size and your driving.

Norm
Hey, Norm. I was exaggerating a bit on how worn the tires were, but they are worn on both edges.

I have had the car just over two years andalwaysrun275/35/18's on a 9' Saleenwheelsup front.Therears are not an issue as I never spin the tires, but occasionally pitch the car around a corner because my foot slips . I don't recall the degree of neg. camber, but asked Griggs toset it up veryagressive. I did playwith tire pressures, but found 36 PSI to offer the best steering response and hold the line better in corners after switching from Eagle F1 GS-D3's to the PS2's.The initial wear on one tire was undoubtedly due to incorrect/inbalanced initialset-up of CC plates. This was corrected when I noticed un-even wear on PF tire and had Griggs re-align it. Once this adjustment was made, they began to wear evenly, but still a little worse on both edges. This CC issue was when I was running my Eagles, and have been on the PS2's since early October last year.

I also have a Griggs bump-steer kit installed and do not brake hard at all, so toe-in may have more to do with wear than anything else.I guess it is all really mute at this point, as will be running R888's on 295'swith 10' wheels up front by this Friday.

Anyway, I don't want to high-jack this thread any longer, butappreciate your info

I have gained a lot ofknowledge from many persons on this board and appreciate the input of all who frequent it. I will post up some additional info on my 'Need ULTRA high performance tire recommendations' thread from last month.

Jazzer lookin' forward to thetwisties....... again!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey, Norm. I was exaggerating a bit on how worn the tires were, but they are worn on both edges.

I have had the car just over two years andalwaysrun275/35/18's on a 9' Saleenwheelsup front.Therears are not an issue as I never spin the tires, but occasionally pitch the car around a corner because my foot slips . I don't recall the degree of neg. camber, but asked Griggs toset it up veryagressive. I did playwith tire pressures, but found 36 PSI to offer the best steering response and hold the line better in corners after switching from Eagle F1 GS-D3's to the PS2's.The initial wear on one tire was undoubtedly due to incorrect/inbalanced initialset-up of CC plates. This was corrected when I noticed un-even wear on PF tire and had Griggs re-align it. Once this adjustment was made, they began to wear evenly, but still a little worse on both edges. This CC issue was when I was running my Eagles, and have been on the PS2's since early October last year.

I also have a Griggs bump-steer kit installed and do not brake hard at all, so toe-in may have more to do with wear than anything else.I guess it is all really mute at this point, as will be running R888's on 295'swith 10' wheels up front by this Friday.

Anyway, I don't want to high-jack this thread any longer, butappreciate your info

I have gained a lot ofknowledge from many persons on this board and appreciate the input of all who frequent it. I will post up some additional info on my 'Need ULTRA high performance tire recommendations' thread from last month.

Jazzer lookin' forward to thetwisties....... again!
Hi Jazzer,

Oh, I forgot to mention wheel width. An aggressively driven car with 275's on an 18"x9"wheel is way too wide and will be rolling over like crazy. You probably needed at least 40psi to make the front tires workeven marginally O.K. so it is no wonder that you had outsideand inside tire wear at the same time. You needed at least a 10" wheel to support that 275 tire in an 18" size for a performance application and11" would not havebeen too wide for an aggressively driven car.

A 295/30x18 R888may notlike those 10" wide wheels in an aggressive driver so much as you are on the narrow endof the acceptablewheel width range.You'd be much better of with a 275/35x18 on 10" wide wheels, not only for grip but for steering response. Sure they might fit on the wheels but you are doing the same thing as you did with the 9" wheels and over tiring the wheel and car. You aren't going to go any faster with the 295/30x18 vs. the 275/35x18 in the same tire.

As I recall there is no such thing as aGoodyear EagleF1 GS-D3 in 275/35x18 butI know they make275/40x18 GS D3's because I considered buying some at one point.

HTH!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Thanks F1, but already have the 295/30's on order for this week. I figure I will wear them out so fast, I can go smaller next time based on my experience. The R888 has a much stiffer sidewall than my PS2 and was recommended to run 38~40 PSI on the street. This recommendation came from a guy I saw when at Griggs dropping my car off and stopped him in front of his car for a few to pick his brain on the R888's. I am told that PSI changes are much more dramatic on the Toyo's due to temp needed to attain best grip on street VS. track.

I just picked up my car 1/2 hour ago and going for a little twisty run with the galpal. First impressions are that the ride is a little less harsh and deals with road bumps a little softer. John said to expect this and is a welcome surprise. It was not bad prior, just VERY mechanical 'feel' while driving. I think that although the ride was no worse than Saleen suspension, it was and remains, a bit too 'solid' for your average driver.

As for the GS-D3's in a 275/35/18', maybe they stopped making them, but ran them until last October when I went with the PS2's.

Thanks all

Will review the SLA after a nice drive! (an easy one at first)[8D]

Jazzer

PS. What does 'HTH' mean? Been thinkin' on it for a while now and am clueless.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

As for the GS-D3's in a 275/35/18', maybe they stopped making them, but ran them until last October when I went with the PS2's.

PS. What does 'HTH' mean? Been thinkin' on it for a while now and am clueless.

They still make them in a heavy run flat version.

HTH = hope that helps.