Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steering Wheel Shake and Tires.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

Default Steering Wheel Shake and Tires.

I was just wondering, people who have noticed that their steering wheel vibrates back and forth around 55 to 60 what tires are you running on the car.The reason I'm asking is because I had the same issue with my car and have recently changed my front tires and no more vibration of the steering wheel. Both the old and the new tires were mounted and balanced on the same rims at the same place and I was there watching to make sure they read zero after the weights were applied.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:02 PM
fastford20

Default RE: Steering Wheel Shake and Tires.

was the car lowered? what was on it before?? what do you have now?? need more information on the topic? sounds like it could have been balancing or alignment issues?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

The car is exactly the same as before I changed the tires. My suspiscion is that it could be the Perilli tires that maybe causing the problems I and others were having.

ORIGINAL: fastford20

was the car lowered? what was on it before?? what do you have now?? need more information on the topic? sounds like it could have been balancing or alignment issues?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 PM
vphokie
3rd Gear Member

I had that problem, but I was running aftermarket wheels and Toyo tires. I kept trying to balance them. Finally, when I was getting them road-force balanced, the tire guy told me one of my wheels was bent. He balanced it anyways, and it's been driving ok. But I'm replacing my wheels next week...tired of the other ones. Figured if I am going to replace one, I might as well replace them all.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vphokie

I had that problem, but I was running aftermarket wheels and Toyo tires. I kept trying to balance them. Finally, when I was getting them road-force balanced, the tire guy told me one of my wheels was bent. He balanced it anyways, and it's been driving ok. But I'm replacing my wheels next week...tired of the other ones. Figured if I am going to replace one, I might as well replace them all.
Bingo.
Lately the wheel quality has been suffering from manufacture's it seems like. Wheels are coming in out of round all day long. Tire shops are not using road force balancer's so basically it is not balancing ****. Generally anything over 40-45mph is not caused from tire imbalance.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

Bingo.
Lately the wheel quality has been suffering from manufacture's it seems like. Wheels are coming in out of round all day long. Tire shops are not using road force balancer's so basically it is not balancing ****. Generally anything over 40-45mph is not caused from tire imbalance.

Side to side shimmy...did they remove the rotor retainer washers when they put the aftermarket rims on? most aftermarket rims don't have the indent to accomodate the washers and will get the shimmy when the wheel gets tightened down on them and is slightly off.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I have this intermittently with mine. FR500's and Nitto 555's I notice it more when it is colder out. When it is warm I hardly ever feel it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

My pirelli's shook at that speed. I finally replaced the fronts with Goodyears and the shake is gone. I still have pirellis on the back and a pair or pirellis in the shed for use on the back. It bugged the hell out of me that neither the dealeror pirelli would do anything about this. Pirelli told me they probably had flat spots on them if the car didn't move for a week or so while at the dealer.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:44 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

Bingo.

Side to side shimmy...did they remove the rotor retainer washers when they put the aftermarket rims on? Most aftermarket rims don't have the indent to accomodate the washers and will get the shimmy when the wheel gets tightened down on them and is slightly off.
+1
rotor clips
its also dangerous []

[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/33AAA39B4770447A884A3211646FD0D9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Typically, our Stangs will suffer wheel shimy from the rotor clips with use of non-OEM wheels or an inadequate balance. Also, a typical spin balance will not detect some rim or wheel defects that can be picked up by a RoadForce balance. I learned this the hard way recently.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Shake and Tires.