Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Does anyone use nitrogen in there tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:45 PM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Default Does anyone use nitrogen in there tires?

Last week I put nitrogen in my Jag tires and got better handling and two miles to the gallon better fuel milage. I wondered if anyone uses it in there Mustang. I need new tires soon and will probably use the nitrogen in them.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:30 PM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

i've heard it's the way to go. i will as soon as i find someone local.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

A lot of car dealers have it. Check with your local Ford desler. It made a big difference in my Jag but I can't see spending the money when I will buy new tires in the next few weeks.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 PM
map92389
1st Gear Member

I use it, and the car definitely rides and handles better. A mechanic told me though that the nitrogen is beter for lower profile and performance tires, not necessarily stock ones. But if you notice a difference I'd keep using it regardless.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 AM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Thanks, that helps. The Jag's stock tires are lower profile than the Mustang.
Therefore I will probably not get as much benefit from putting it in the Pony.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its like snake oil.
Did they pull a 100% vacuum before installing the Nitrogen?
If not, there is still common atmospheric air in there as well.
Anything to get your $$ from you.
Its worthless as earlier posts would indicate.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:16 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Snake oil is right! Since the air we breath consists of 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen(1% other)this sounds like a great way to subtract you from your money! Don't believe me then GOOGLE "nitrogen in tires". As for better gas mileage I would bet that you tires were under-inflated to begin with and the nitrogen just brought them up to specs. Your better off checking your tire pressure EVERY month which most people don't do.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There are some very minor benefits to using N2. More like tiny, as in you'd never notice, and not worth either the time or the inconvenience/trouble involved. Maybe a couple psi per year less pressure loss. And at a definite stretch, maybe the steel belting will be in minutely better condition when the tread is totally gone and you've thrown them away.

Proponents claim that benefits occur at about 95% N2 purity - funny, that's about what commercial N2 generating equipment is capable of producing. Hardly a coincidence.

And what do you suppose ultimately happens when you're caught away from an N2 fill station and your TPMS goes off?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-20-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Ditto on the snake oil. The minor benfits of lower heat builldup, lower temperature/pressure effects, longer tread life are minimal and are not worth the cost.

To the OP: 1 week of mileage records is in no way indicative of whether you've seen an actual mileage increase. I truly doubt you're seeing a 2 MPG increase.

It bothers me how many people fall victim to all the untruthful promises from every direction regarding improving fuel economy. AND, how much people will spend in order to perceive that they're saving money.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

I thank all of you for your answers and I asked the question for that purpose. I had not found any definitive sources. Infact I did as one suggested and googled it. I got two different points of view. However, the most important thing that I got from the articles is that there have not been any scientific studies. Since only one person answered yes I assume that the rest of you do not have any experience with nitrogen in your tires. I do agree that one week is not a substantial time for total evaluation. Therefore that was the reason behind the question. The cars computer is now up to 22.4 mpg from the original 20.ompg. Honestly for the long run I have not had the car long enough to totally evaluate it as a car. My wife drives it more than I do. Again thanks for your replies.

Quick Reply: Does anyone use nitrogen in there tires?