Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

lower or not?

Old 08-27-2008, 04:13 AM
zraickenator

Default lower or not?

Ive got an 06 GT with stock suspension. Its not bad but it does sit a little high. i already scrape the bottom of my car going over speed bumps every once in a while as it is. would it be worth it to get lowering springs for my car? supposedly it helps with handling and of course it takes away that jacked up look. also makes the ride stiffer. any input?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'd hate to see the speed bumps were you live! If you go over speed bumps at an angle, then you won't scrape. I've tried to explain this to my wife, but she just doesn't get it. If you get LCA relocation brackets and keep the stock lower control arms, then the ride will be very good. Also you'll want to trim the rear bump stops on the axle. They are easily cut with a razor knife.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

it definitely helps with getting rid of the "jacked up look". as far as having a stiffer ride, it all depends on the springs you go with and how low you take your car. I would say that the spring of choice on here seems to be the Eibach Pro-kit. I have a few friends that have these springs on their cars and they are very nice.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have the Eibach-Pro. With 27" diameter tires I've never had a problem scrapping. I'm careful with curbs, dips, speed bumps, etc though. If you are scrapping on s bumps with stock height, yikes, those are some big bumps. I also have a set of 25.6" tires for the track. Running those on the street its real easy to scrape.

Lower springs act to lower your center of gravity. Stiffer springs serve to increase roll stiffness. Both are pieces of the handling puzzle. Dampers and tires have a much bigger impact on handling though.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM
crazy4life
1st Gear Member

Lower it. I lowered mine and love the look. Can't stand that huge space between the fender and tire.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Do what you want, but since I don't autocross, and / or track day/ HPDE the car, I say why bother? I hit the drag strip once, maybe twice a year. The majority of the car's use is highway driving. Stock suspension is more than enough for me. Also, around by me, in north Jersey with the crappy roads it would drive me nuts, and my driveway apron is steep, my C5 used to bottom at stock ride height! I don't bottom on speedbumps with my GT at stock height, so you must have some really steep bumps by you!
Old 08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

another great benefit of lowering your car is the reduced nose dive during braking and less rocking during manual shifting (maybe not a problem with autos). even my wife noticed the difference with the less rocking and said the ride is much more pleasant. some of that is also due to the upgraded dampers i'm sure.

and i have to agree, those must be some hellacious speed bumps, slow down!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
zraickenator

its not that im speeding over the bumps its just that they are huge. even when im going at a crawl i still bottom out. its just a couple bumps that i have to look out for. most are fine.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zraickenator
Ive got an 06 GT with stock suspension. Its not bad but it does sit a little high. i already scrape the bottom of my car going over speed bumps every once in a while as it is. would it be worth it to get lowering springs for my car? supposedly it helps with handling and of course it takes away that jacked up look. also makes the ride stiffer. any input?
You'll be more likely to scrape, because you lose more ground clearance than any reasonable amount of extra spring stiffness can make up for. Scraping is more a function of bump size, ground clearance, and speed than spring stiffness.

Handling improvements really only show up as you approach the car's cornering limits, well beyond the realm of even semi-reasonable street driving.

Appearance vs one less thing to worry about. Ride quality vs a little potential improvement in your very hardest cornering. Your choice.

Norm
Old 08-30-2008, 10:13 PM
zraickenator

yeah i know im more likely to scrape thats one thing that was holding me back. i decided not to lower it anyway. at least not for a while. maybe later. thanks though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lower or not?